icon

Orion 97.3 wattage

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
samrock 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  

I just got a 97.3. i hooked it up to 2 orion xtrs dual 4 ohms. total load 1 ohm acroos the bridge but the amp clips and cuts off. so we set them up for a 4 ohm load the amp does not clip. we hooked the amp to a dummy load of 4 ohms and ran tone through the amp it clips right at 49 volts across the rails pulling 80 amps droppin our power supply down to 13.1 volts by the calculations i have done this amp only puts out about 600 ture watts. into 4 ohms..    can any one confirm this..    the manual says its stable donw to .0078125 ohms at 1024 watts (i think this is a bluff as is the 1 watt ratting at 4 ohms)

i thaught this amp was a rebadged 2100  at one point in time i had 12 single voice coil xtrs on 2 2100s that is .66 ohms across the bridge.

Does any one remember car stereo of new orleans he had 18 15xtrs with 18 97.3 amps..  i looked for him in the phone book and there is no longer a listing.

thanks

Sam Rock

Morgan City La

of all the things i have lost i miss my mind the most!
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged  
That amp is indeed stable down to well under one ohm. I have played with a customers before. We had set that one up to run at .66 ohms and it ran fine. You said yours was set at one ohm and clipping? What kinda voltage are you putting in on the RCA lines and is it possible your ground is comprimised. I mean it seems like you are a knowledgable person and Im sure you already checked your ground but if an amp is cutting out at an impedence level that it is capable of running, and you then raise the impedence and it runs fine it could point to a poor ground.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
samrock 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 1:31 AM / IP Logged  

we have it on the test bench all grounds are linked. we have 2 1k cold cranking amp deep cells and a 40 amp power supply charging the batts. i am not shur of the input voltage should be around 3 to 6v but as per orions specs we hooked up the subs and with vol on head unit 3/4 open and slowely turned up gain on amp till the clip lights came on. this was not much above 0db gain on amp, and half way on the xover. the xover was a memphis  cutting the frq at 50 hz we also had a sub sonic cutting at 20 hz..   with a 1 ohm we could only get 28 volts on the output rail of the amp. i was pritty shur this amp could go down to .5 ohm load..   was starting to second guess my self..  i will be on the phone with orion in the moring..  i dont know if there tec support is what i was in the past when i was a dealer but they sould have some insite on the matter..

samrock 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  

Ok Orion says there is something wrong with the amp. it should go under a 1/4 ohm load. but they cannot work on it directed does not work on any orion product older than 2001 and they will not provide schematics for the product eather..   if any one knows how to get schematics for this amp  please drop me a line at kewlcat_68@yahoo.com

thanks

sam

samrock 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2006 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
bump!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic