icon

1986 Crown victoria

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
MisterLas 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2002 at 12:55 AM / IP Logged  

HELP! i had taken my pioneer deh-1000 out of my other car because my transmission went out and now im working on putting it in my 1986 ford ltd crown vic.  my car has that premium sound pakage, and i am totally clueless on the connections, amp, and wiring for this car.  I have searched around this site for the diagram and couldnt find much help since it is the premium sound.  Can anyone offer me any advice whatsoever... thanks

Doug

Dose3782 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2002 at 1:02 AM / IP Logged  

Maybe this will help-

Most of the head unit installs I have done in the past with premium sound stock, Have required 2 Wiring harness kits. I would hit your local audio store and get the wiring kits for that vehicle, and wire it up. That should do the trick for u! Be sure to mention it has the premium sound package in it when u buy the harnesses.

Kyle

MisterLas 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2002 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  
I was at circuit city today and and i took the stock tape deck in and had the guy get the plugs for it and he sole me a metra turbowire smart cable model 80-1772 (ford to universal)... is this the premium sh*t i need? and i was told the premium has a different wiring diagram... and also someone told me i would probably have to bypass the stock amp because of the ohm differences... i am so confused right now that my head is starting to hurt from smacking it off the wall... if you wouldnt mind, please advise me a little more, kyle (or anyone else for that matter)
MisterLas 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2002 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  

ok first off thx kyle for the help... i forgot to thank you... so there it is... lol... anyways... ok so a buddy of mine told me that i DO need to bypass the factory amp and i followed the wiring.. and the S.O.B. is behind the speedometer... so that will be my project for tomorrow... i will post any progress maybe it could help someone else in the future...  i do have one question tho, i know this isnt the right forum but maybe someone is a little more advance in the topic of lighting than i am... what wouild be the best black light kit i could get?... would it be flourescent or neon?... any specific brand? any ways.. if anyone could help, id love it... thanks alot

please email me, i can get to it faster... lol

misterlas@aol.com

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 28, 2002 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  

I've done a couple of these, as I used to own an '85 myself.  It's a little more effort than an ordinary deck install, but things can go smoothly and without headaches if you set aside enough time to do it.

You may be able to keep the factory amp, but I've never had good results doing so---a new afermarket radio has more power anyway.  Here's the simplest and most straightforward way I've found to bypass the amp.

Below the right rear speaker, is the factory amplifier.  Unfasten both of its plugs FIRST, before you begin doing other wiring.

If the harness you bought at Circuit City fits the plugs behind the dash, use it for your power and ground connections.  At the same time, attach four long lengths of speaker wire to your new radio's speaker outputs.

Wiring the front speakers:  The dashboard and door speakers run in parallel---you don't need to go into the doors.  Remove the top dash pad.  There are four screws in the defroster vents, a handful along the bottom edge, and one on each side that you can see when the door is open.  Slide the pad backward to remove it, then unscrew the speakers.  You'll notice that the speaker's plug has a clip on one side----the side with the clip is the negative wire.  Strip some insulation from the factory wiring, and attach your new speaker wire here, with solder if possible.  DON'T cut up the factory wiring---just strip and attach---you'll see why later on.

Wiring the rear speakers:  Run the wires directly to the rear speakers, and again, strip and splice into the wiring.  Some tips for running the wire:  The rear seat bottom cushion comes out by pushing it hard backward with your knee, then lifting.  Then grasp the bottom of the seatback and pry it out a bit, allowing you to feed the wire upward behind it.  Go in the trunk, make an X in the rubber insulation with a knife, and reach through and down to find the wire.

At this point, the amp is disconnected, the aftermarket radio has power, and all six speakers get music.  And the cool part is, it's all easily reversible come resale time----this is why I told you not to cut up the factory speaker wiring.  Here's how to revert to factory:  Cut the speaker wires from the aftermarket radio, tape them off, and leave them in place.  Plug the amp back in.  Reinstall the factory radio, and that's it.

Aftermarket radio mounting tips:  There is a kit for these cars, it sucks, and it's hard to work with.  Instead, get a nice file, and use it to enlarge the factory opening until the aftermarket radio fits.  You'll also notice that the plastic radio panel isn't very rigid.  Get yourself some of that foam that goes under house carpeting.  Install the aftermarket radio fully into the plastic dash piece, then attach several layers of foam to the bottom of the radio-----when you put it in the car, the foam will sit down on the metal "shelf" under the radio, providing good support.

MisterLas 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2002 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  

i was looking yesterday and followed the wiring which i had originially thought ended behind the peedometer, it went all the way to the trunk... lol... my amp is on the left side, but everything else you had told me will help me nonetheless... i greatly appreciate you taking the time to help me out... ill get back on here and post any results... im off to the store to get me some good ole' speaker wire... lol... anyways thanks a bunch again..

MisterLas

MisterLas@aol.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic