icon

hard time choosing sq setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nismo350z 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, Brand new car brand new project im pumped. Here is a definite, Im getting the Eclipse AVN5495, Polk Audio SR6500 and Polk Audio 6x9's. I would like to run one 12 inch sub. And have two amps and I'm having a really hard time choosing what amps and 12"sub any suggestions?
btw its going in a 2001 Honda Prelude
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  

SQ based system, keep it to a sealed box. For me this is a no brainer. I would choose the Eclipse aluminum cone as it has a highly predictable outcome for a system like the one you are proposing. This sub has not dissappointed me once in the almost 7 year run that it has had. I have used it countless times in many systems. Give it a 1.25 cu.ft. net volume sealed enclosure and it will not dissappoint you.

If you really want two amps, that is fine but I would look to a one amp system as well. I base this on the premise than most SQ based systems are built to sound good and play to a respectable, not overbearing volume level. The Eclipse PA5532 is a great amp for this, same with the Crossfire VR705D. This route also allows you more real estate in the trunk as it is smaller than a 2 amp system. It saves you on wire as you are not running power and ground through distribution blocks, it also helps to eliminate potential ground loops. I would definitely consider something like this.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2006 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden gives good advise.  I would add to think of not using 6X9's if you want an SQ setup.  Keep your mains (assuming you like their sound) as those are good components.  No need for rear fill unless you want to use it, but again toss out  the idea of 6X9's and use standard round speakers.  Cheers.
Support the12volt.com
nismo350z 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2006 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys so the Eclipse amps are good sq amps? and the eclipse sub also? really? well I want to definitley have a two amp set up. no big deal about room. and I think i will go with the round speakers on the rear deck for fill. is their any other brands of subs/amps i should look into? adire image dynamics jl?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2006 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  

A two amp system, see if you can find a Eclipse PA5422 and a Eclipse PA4212. For the sub use the SW7124DVCT2 and wire the sub in series to make it 4 ohms. Connect it to the bridged outputs of the PA4212 for a very conservatie 400W RMS power rating. A perfect  match for the sub. I like rear fill, a good coax or pointsource speaker in the rear would be great. The PA5422 amp is rated conservatively at 85W RMS x 4 and is more than enough power to run the front and rear speakers cleanly, very squeaky clean actually.

When I recommend something, it will be based on first hand use. If I happen to be able to recommend something that I have used for years and years, it will have a highly predictable outcome in the end. This is why I recommended these items in your system. I know that they will not dissappoint and IMO, they are a nice looking amplifier / sub that will complement your car.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
TruckSystem 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2006 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
All three of those brands you listed are good stuff and worth taking a look at for SQ setups. I also would recommend checking out Diamond as another good SQ choice, I have been using my stuff listed below for a couple years now and would highly recommend it to anyone with SQ as a goal.
2003 Chevrolet Silverado Standard Cab ~ Alpine CDA-9851
Diamond Audio D3600.1 ~ 2x Diamond Audio TM310D4
Diamond Audio D3400.4 ~ Diamond Audio Hex S600s
AstroStart RS5204 Remote Start/Alarm
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2006 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
As Trucksystem said...  Those those other choices you suggested are also very good.  Adire, Image Dynamics, and JL all make very nice products.  It's all personal preference.  Go to dealers and listen to what they have.
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
nismo350z 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2006 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden or anyone else do you have any experience with Eclipse's new amps? I have accomodations on Eclipse products but only their new stuff thanks again

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic