icon

crossover location

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xsdbs 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2006 at 8:10 AM / IP Logged  
 hello, please excuse me if this type of a post has already been posted. my question is : when installing separates in your car is there a rule of thumb about where the crossovers should be mounted. i usually install them as close to the speakers as i can. however a shop in town did a tahoe that came in for me to do some upgrades to and they installed the crossovers in the drivers rear quater panel for all 4 doors. seems to me that thios may throw off crossover points do to added resistance in the wiring. thanks for any help.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2006 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  
I suppose it could alter the xover points if the wiring was very small gauge and very long so that it added ohms instead of fractions of ohms... but if good quality decent gauge wire is used, it should not matter that much.  In some critical high-end applications it might matter more, but for car audio I wouldn't worry too much about it.  I agree, however, to install crossovers close to the speakers, but mainly to minimize wiring run confusion.
Support the12volt.com
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 02, 2006 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
Theoretically, you are right, but I agree with DYohn.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 02, 2006 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  
In my car, the crossovers for the front components are in the glove compartment.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
stealth raptor 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2006 at 4:59 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn is correct in what he says. As long as the speaker wiring going to the crossovers are of decent quality and gauge, it doesn't matter too much where the crossover is mounted.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic