icon

Securing a 1966 Convertible

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pendulum 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2006 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
I've got a 1966 Chevy Impala Convertible that I'm restoring, and once I get a new top for it (current one is trashed), what would be the best alarm to get? Is there anything special I can do about security in terms of it being a convertible? I'm good with wiring/electrical fabrication. I'd like a system that will tell me when someone touches the car (I guess it's called a 2 way system?). I'm completely new to alarms. All I know is that half the time they get ignored by people around :< so I'd like to be able to have the system tell why it's been activated.
Thanks for any help.
catalin capota 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2006 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
Go with a Compustar alarm and an external proximity sensor. These types of sensors will usually have two zones. One exterior zone that will detect movement around the vehicle and one interior zone. The exterior will signal a warning which will show on your remote and the interior will sound the siren for 30 seconds or 60 seconds. This one will also show on the remote.
If the vehicle ISN'T fuel injected then do not purchase the remote starting Compustar model. As I'm sure you'll know it won't always start if it's cold and you won't be able to remotely pump the gas pedal.
pendulum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks. I'm eventually gonna go fuel injected, if I can afford it. 8-10 MPG just isn't too pleasing.
pendulum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  
Since I can't figure out how to edit, I'll just double-post... I've been researching alarms and I've seen a "field-disturbance" sensor mentioned. What exactly is this, and how well does it perform?
catalin capota 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
I haven't been able to edit either.
That sensor is the same as a proximity sensor, just a different name.
pendulum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
I think I know what to look for in the alarm system, but I've got a couple questions about installation.
Obviously, it's going to need 12V of pwer. Instead of going from the battery, could I splice into another wire somewhere close to where the "brain" will be located, so that it's harder to find (and cut) power for the alarm? I also intend to keep my ground short and hidden.
Other than power/ground, and the starter kill, what kind of wiring am I going to need to do? Compared to a car audio install (head unit, subwoofers, amp(s), speakers), how difficult will this be?
catalin capota 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  
You can take a power source pretty much anywhere. Just make sure it's capable of handling the current draw that the alarm will need.
You'll also need a door/hood/trunk trigger, park light flash, starter or ignition kill. The triggers will all be negative and you'll need to mount switches in the trunk and under the hood. The hood trigger can be drilled and mounted to the rad support. The trunk will be a little more tricky since you do not want to drill any holes beside the weatherstripping. Water will most definately leak into the trunk. The switch can be mounted to the underside of the trunk lid and wiring will have to be hidden in between the runk skin and framing. Door triggers will be a factory system that turn's on the dome light... taping into this will also trigger the alarm.
The starter and ignition cuts can be done under the dash on the main harness from the ignition switch. Park light flash can be connected to the factory light switch harness in the dash.
Good luck.
mike swanson 
Copper - Posts: 290
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
I wouldnt leave that car out of my site.
I have a 1979 T/A and I wouldnt hack the wires just for an alarm. I have alarms in all my other cars but I dont let my T/A out of site. By the time your alarm goes off the dent or scratch is done. Too late now and what did the alarm do to prevent that? Nothing. It just told you sooner and you will still be pissed.
Very nice car by the way. I love the old ones
See mine @ www.transampontiac.com
pendulum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
The alarm isn't to prevent scratches and dents. It's to prevent theft. It's not uncommon in my area for kids to break into cars. Also, a lot of kids at my school don't like me or some of my friends. My friend has had his system jacked 4 times, and we know who it is but we can't prove it. Roid monkies in massive gatherings are not a fun fight, either.
Mwsounds 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  

Why don't you put you video camera to work. You can set it up to feed to you computer, or VCR to record. Time comsuming maybe, but if you catch those who are breaking in and stealing you system, then it would be worth it.

Just my 2 cents

Thanks,
Mike Ward
Get it done right the first time!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic