icon

Amplifier messed up?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bronze 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2006 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  
while driving home today, my sub and amp cut out. once home i went to check everything, all connections were tight, the fuses were good, no screwed up cables. after further checking, it seems that the amp and sub would output for a second or two after the car was turned on, then after that it would cut out. upon checking the amplifier initially, it was still recieving power and was on, as was the sub. i checked all connections from the backside of my headunit as well and they were all tight and cables were in good condition. ideas?
Amplifier: Concept International CCD1200
Headunit: Pioneer Premier DEH-P740MP
Subwoofer: Sony Xplod 10" 1200w
Vehicle: 1993 Ford Bronco
mobile1 
Silver - Posts: 479
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2006 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  

what kind of subs and amp? what is the impeadance of the subs? how are they wired?

my guess is that the impeadance of the subs is too low for the amp to handle. this would cause the problem you are describing

bronze 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2006 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  
amp and sub are listed at the bottom of the first post.
Amplifier: Concept International CCD1200
Headunit: Pioneer Premier DEH-P740MP
Subwoofer: Sony Xplod 10" 1200w
Vehicle: 1993 Ford Bronco
Amplifier is 1 ohm stable, and is currently running at 4 ohm in line with the sub. i havnt had a problem in the 8+ months ive been running this sub and amp combination until now.
modena0 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2006 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  
Check these 3 things....
Ground(continuity),
12v+ at the battery,
Sub wire pair (short).
ground is obvious, but i say th eother two because at one point my battery corroded and the connector for the amp's 12v+ line at the battery had come undone.
the sub wire happened to me recently as well.. make sure there are no shorts in it, for example mine was jammed in the seat rail underneath the seat, and it was grounding the wire.
2000 Chevrolet S10
Premier DEH-P860MP
JL Audio XR650-CSi components
Boston 4x6 splits
JL Audio 10W3v2
Alpine MRP-M350
Clarion APA-4162
ddsubman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2006 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  
Does the protect. light come on on your amp? Concept amps don't have a great reputation for reliability. I ran a CCD2400 for about 6 months at 2 ohms before it started acting up. When I carried it back to the dealer he told me he was no longer selling them because 50% of the ones he sold came back and had to be sent in for warranty repair.
Gettin' deafer by the day.......96' GMC yukon-Eclipse CD 5442HU
MA Audio HK4000D-Digital Designs 9515F
150+db with one woofer...DD rules!!!!
ddsubman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2006 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
Forgot to mention, check impedance on your woofer to make sure its' just not blown. Sony hit the nail on the head when they designated them as Xplods'!!!!
Gettin' deafer by the day.......96' GMC yukon-Eclipse CD 5442HU
MA Audio HK4000D-Digital Designs 9515F
150+db with one woofer...DD rules!!!!
stealth raptor 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 7:20 AM / IP Logged  
Have to agree with ddsubman, check for a blown sub. don't forget "It's a Sony"!!
bronze 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  
good points by ddsubman and stealth raptor...i do keep forgetting it is a sony, and there is no "protect" light on the amp(yea, nice design concept). ill check all of these things later today. im hoping its only the sub, afterall i have had it for almost 2 years now. thanks for the suggestions
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
Yep, could be the amp, could be the speaker.  If you have another speaker you could try hooking it up to see if the amp functions.  You cannot always tell if a speaker is blown by measuring the DC resistance through the voice coil.
Support the12volt.com
bronze 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
well i checked the speaker and the amp, and it was the amp. i hooked a different speaker up to it and got no sound out of it, and proceeded to hook my sub up to my home theatre system and it played with no trouble.
now, onto the next step of finding a new amp. my friend is recommending the Kicker KX1200.1, im wondering what all of you would recommend.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic