Remote Starter killing battery

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dmurray14 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  

Hi Guys,

Just installed a Autopage RS720LCD in my 06 GMC Denali XL. The unit came out of an 02 Suburban we traded in. After I installed it, everything worked perfectly and just as it was supposed to - started right up, controlled the locks fine, etc. However, the next morning, the battery was dead. Thinking I had left the battery terminals loose, I tightened them up again, and charged the battery. Next morning, same thing - dead. Also, apparenlty the alarm went off quite a few times throughout the night (I didn't hear it, but was told it did). Don't know how it would have been triggered, though - I don't have the shock sensor hooked up.

Any ideas what's causing this? I had to disconnect the system because I cannot keep jumping it every morning. Now that I think about it, I do remember the Suburban's battery getting a LITTLE low in the mornings (took a little longer to start up) but I don't recall it completely killing the battery.

For some reason I guess the alarm is drawing enough current to kill it - though I can't think why it would need that much. I also have a Crimestopper GM-SL databus interface, and I guess that could be drawing current as well, but I would think it wouldn't draw nearly as much as the alarm.

Thanks guys...

Dan

JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
First thing I would suspect is a starter kill relay that is staying engaged. I'm not familiar with Autopage units, but I'm assuming it has an external starter kill. How is it wired?
dmurray14 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  

I don't even have the starter kill hooked up, and I don't think there's a relay for it either. I wanted this to be fairly basic - remote start features plus unlocking and locking. So it's just hooked up to the appropriate ignition and constant wires and brake pedal, and the rest is done through the GMSL databus module.

Thanks,

Dan

sexyvic1 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  

dmurray14 :  i had the same problem with my AutoPage RS-850LCD

i figured out that it was the red wire with the pink 3 amp fuse on it. it is on the side of the alarm brain the plug is white and has only 5 wires on it. try that on yours.

if u want to read on how i found it here is a link to a thread i put up in the general disscussion area.  goodluck buddy.

click on the link below

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=71224&PN=1&tpn=1

sexyvic1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  
oh and mine was in a 2001 chevy tahoe so basically the same truck
dmurray14 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
sexyvic1 wrote:

dmurray14 :  i had the same problem with my AutoPage RS-850LCD

i figured out that it was the red wire with the pink 3 amp fuse on it. it is on the side of the alarm brain the plug is white and has only 5 wires on it. try that on yours.

if u want to read on how i found it here is a link to a thread i put up in the general disscussion area.  goodluck buddy.

click on the link below

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=71224&PN=1&tpn=1

Thanks for the response. So this means the unit is defective? Just wonderful.

How did you go about getting it fixed?

Thanks,

Dan

mike swanson 
Copper - Posts: 290
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
take off the -side of the batt hook a mutimeter up to it and start pulling fuses. if you pull a fuse and the draw goes down you will know where it is coming from.
Pull a fuse and if the meter didnt change put it back and try another...1at a time. Pull the R/S fuse 1st
Then if it stays the same bout 0.1-0.5,,,5being the max draw you should have. You know that there is no draw.
Make sure the dome light is off.
dmurray14 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry for taking so long...
Yes, it was the alarm, same one sexyvic had. What should I do? I doubt it's still in warranty...this is not fun.
Dan
bazzgazm 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  
Another bad thing. how long is it until the radio turns off after the car is started? =)
oh yeah. when the door opens.
sexyvic1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2006 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  

dmurray14 wrote:
Sorry for taking so long...
Yes, it was the alarm, same one sexyvic had. What should I do? I doubt it's still in warranty...this is not fun.
Dan

i called autopage and told them the problem and the tech said to send in the brain. i asked him how and he said that i would have to go back to were i purchased it from and they would have to return it.

what B.S. he said that they do not deal with consumers. i told him i am willing to pay for the repair i just want it fixed and he said it doesn't matter they will not accept it.
so know i gotta find a dealer ( there aren't any near by me ) to send the unit in.
last time i buy autopage.
i had DEI in my grand cherokee and the brain had gone bad the DEI people accepted it from me fixed it for free and sent it back all within a week of when i sent it. i guess thats the way to go from know on.

goodluck with yours, let me know what happens

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic