icon

Defective HU or Amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blackmica3 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2006 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
Well my ground problem was on initial install. Now I'm leaning more towards a bad voice coil shorting out.............. So many things to check. Good luck!!!
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 05, 2006 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  

All great advice.

How is your amp getting signal, are you using high quality line out converters, or are you using the high level inputs built into the amp (assuming it has them)?  If you're using high level inputs, I'd recommend using a line output converter instead- using high level inputs can sometimes also give the symptoms you are describing.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
allencass 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  

OK, tried both subs hooked up again,same problem, disconnected both and tried each channel separately, seems that by themselves there is no problem, even when the amp is bridged. so the only time there seems to be an issue is when both subs are hooked up at the same time. I am using high level inputs as the stock hu has no preamps. will probably upgrade the stereo soon, we'll see. any more input on the problem?

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
It sounds like when you're running both subs, you're hooking them up bridged parallel (both positives of the subs to the positive terminal on the amp, both negatives together)- which is probably too low an impedance on that amp.  I recommend using a mono block class d amp to run your subs.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
allencass 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  

When I bridged the amp I only used 1 sub. when i am using both subs i am not bridging the amp at all. not sure if that tells you anything else. here is the link for the owner's manual,not sure if you can tell anything from this but if you check the last page it has the specs, again i have the 5760a:

http://manuals.harman.com/INF/CAR/Owner%27s%20Manual/REF%20AMP%20OM%20FINAL%20rev%203-15-04.pdf

allencass 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2006 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  
OK,not sure if anyone can give me any further input, when powering each sub individually,no problems. even with the amp bridged. as soon as i try to power both subs, whether or not the amp is bridged it results in the first problem i discussed.any input?
allencass 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2006 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged  
would wiring  in series or parallel make any difference? I have a remaining warranty on the subs, so i can get it fixed if that is the issue but before i do that i want to make sure that is the problem.
allencass 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2006 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  
OK, not sure if this means anything but I have the amp bridged, wired in series, no cut outs so far after running for about 15 minutes or so. BTW the subs are SVC if that makes any difference
allencass 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2006 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged  
Last time, hoping for some input. Worked fine wired in series no cutouts with amp bridged, when trying parallel bridged, it started cutting out again. So, i'm not sure what the prob may be still.  bridged to one sub or the other, no prob. bridged wired in series both subs, no prob. unbridged to one sub or the other no prob. wired in parallel, problems. both subs hooked up not bridged, problems. bridged to both subs, problems. any answers?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2006 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  

allencass wrote:
Last time, hoping for some input. Worked fine wired in series no cutouts with amp bridged, when trying parallel bridged, it started cutting out again. So, i'm not sure what the prob may be still.  bridged to one sub or the other, no prob. bridged wired in series both subs, no prob. unbridged to one sub or the other no prob. wired in parallel, problems. both subs hooked up not bridged, problems. bridged to both subs, problems. any answers?

This indicates your amplifier simply cannot handle the impedance load of your speakers in parallel.   I believe this was already mentioned to you?

Support the12volt.com
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic