icon

lighted logo through plexiglass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spmachina77 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2006 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  
k...first off, i'm a noob to fiberglass, but i have built a mdf enclusure with a plexiglass window.Anyways, i'm now going to build a fiberlgass box, with a plexiglass window in the back.
But I was thinking of getting a diecut sticker made (a logo), and putting it on the plexi, and then painting over all the plexiglass, then when I take the sticker off, I'll have a logo, and then put neon on the inside, and light will shine through the logo.
Anybody know of any other ideas on how to do this, I think that would work.
Also I will make the back out of mdf, and plexi, and the plexi will be flush with the mdf, but i'm just wondering, what sort of filler I can get to smooth the 2 together, (the crach between the plexi, and mdf, it will be small, but I want to screw down the plexi on the edges, and then just smooth it all together, because i'll just be painting over all of this anyways.
I don't think bondo sticks to plexi...what similar materials stick to plexi and mdf??? Anybody know??
sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2006 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  
Im not sure about the bonding question, although you may want to look at just some of the regular plexi glues that they sell.  As for the backlit logo, the normal way people do this is to etch the plexiglass.  If you have etched glass and shhh a neon on it the light will only light up the etched part, so if you etch a logo into it and stick some neon near it the logo will light up really nicely.  There are a few ways of doing it, some people will sand it with sandpaper, some use a sitcker, some use spray on etching, some take it to a machine shop and have it laser etched.  However the most common way to do it yourself with repeatedly good results is to use a sand blaster and blast the logo into it.  Like I said there are numerous ways to do it, very few of which are expensive (basically getting it laser etched is the only particularly expensive way), if done well and tastefully it looks really nice.
jlord16 
Silver - Posts: 322
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2006 at 1:07 AM / IP Logged  
how do u sandblast the logo in2 the plexi, using a stencil im guessing??
Clarion DB36MP
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2006 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged  

In your case I like your first Idea better, based soly on the reason that generally speaking, the inside of fiberglass enclosures arent parlicularlly pretty. I mean you can spend the nessasary time to smooth out the entire inside just like the out side, but you are putting in a ton of time into the inside of the box then. Concave is harder to sand than convex as well so you will put more time into the inside than you will the outside. I would stick with your first plan with the paint or I would make the box completly fiberglass and then build a  wood trim ring into the box with a wood backing behind the frame. I would then smooth the entire thing out with bondo or whatever your choice is and paint the whole damn thing. Then get your plexi piece etched and snap it into the ring. Use led's sunk into the sides of the wooden frame to fire light across the plexi as opposed to under neath it. What its gonna do for you is light up the edge of the plexi and the Logo in the center and leave the rest clear which will just show through to the wooden back of the tray that you painted the same as the box. If done right it could look pretty cool and its something thats not quite as run of the mill. Plexi windows to the inside of the box are over done IMO. Bandpass kinda turned everyone on to them and now I can go buy a box with a window inside for like 30 bucks from the outlet shop and thats with a driver. I dont want anything I build to look even remotly close to something I can buy for 30 bucks.

double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
spmachina77 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2006 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  
so any ideas on what you can use to bond together, plexi and mdf, something I can then sand the seam, and fill in the holes I used to screw down the plexi, then sand it, so you can't even see its their.   I think i'll stick to my first plan, of just painting it....just hoping that when I pull the stick off, its not going to rip the paint, or pull it off too.
urstolendesire 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2006 at 2:02 AM / IP Logged  
ya like they said the best way to bond it in my opinion would be just to make a wood ring to go around the corners to hide the screw holes or just use some clear rtv (gasket maker) to hold it down...I've used both, in the mdf the screws work really good but with fiberglass i would suggest using a router and routing out the edge of the fiberglass to however deep your plexi is then set it in there and rtv it up.
LatinMax 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2006 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  

spmachina77 wrote:
so any ideas on what you can use to bond together, plexi and mdf, something I can then sand the seam, and fill in the holes I used to screw down the plexi, then sand it, so you can't even see its their.   I think i'll stick to my first plan, of just painting it....just hoping that when I pull the stick off, its not going to rip the paint, or pull it off too.

What I have done is make the window in the niddle of the box like you would normaly do and then make the plexi glass go all the way to the edge of the box. So that it covers the entire back of the box. Thjis way it is much easier to hide the edges when it is at the edge of a box.

Also Marian text is what I use to bond things. It is expensive (like $70-90 a quart) but well worth it.

Having Fun in Texas!
"LatinMax"

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic