icon

Good LOC’s?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
LudeBoi 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2006 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  
Are the Audio Control LC6's better than the ones PAC carries? I am not looking to spend an arm and a leg (CleanSweep). What's the best for a budget of around 100?
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2006 at 3:57 AM / IP Logged  
I would stick with the Audio control stuff. I have used 5 or 6 off their pieces before and have always been happy with the preformance I get outta them. I also never have had one fail yet.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2006 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, use the Audio Control LC6 over a basic LOC any day of the week.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
wranglercory 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  
Skip the LOC and go with a aftermarket deck . I would only run a LOC if it was a last resort
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
dont listen to wrangler... Locs are a-ok. I ran them on my 99 chevy, and it sounds really nice. My friend ran them on his 04 audi, and another friend on his mazda speed 3. He had no choice because that dash is a piece that includes the radio.
as for brands... there are a million LOCs out there, ranging from 3-15 dollars. I forget what brand i shoved in my dash. but it was in the 10 range.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  

I differ on some of kirk's opinions here.  It's not the LOC itself so much as the fact that with a factory deck you have to use the high level output.  The signal is "dirtier" than a low level signal.  The voltage is higher but the signal is smaller.  One thing you'll note right away is that when you are finding the clipping point on the deck it will invariably be at about the halfway point.  (Low level signals from aftermarket decks start clipping much farther along on the volume dial.)  Setting the amp gain to that halfway point results in a smaller control sweep when you're adjusting volume.

I use LOCs in my personal car because of several reasons:  the expense of the dash kit (Taurus) and having to get rid of a good and trouble-free Clarion factory disk changer being two of them.  The overall sound is very good, but I spent a considerable amount of time and effort getting the LOC's set just right.  I twisted the LOC input wires, as well, to keep out induced noise in the wire runs from the factory wiring.

The other is the quality of LOC you should seek if you are set in keeping the factory radio.  Use only those rated as "high quality", which will start in the $20s.  It will have gain adjustments and other higher quality attributes that will enable you to get the sound quality as high as it can be.  It takes some effort;  you usually can't get best results by sticking in a $10 converter and calling it a day.

But the Audio Control device forbidden spoke of is the best way to go.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
damn, I had typed a responce and somehow it got lost.
Well, main points...
Stedvart, you are right. Originally when I said 3-15 I did a VERY fast search for pricing (as i bought mine way back, and forget exactly what was out there).
and I must have gotten lucky, because my GM delco bose whatever head unit doesnt clip at all until it gets so loud (factory 6 locations, and sub) that i can't handle it myself. So it was never an issue of clipping for me. But definatly twist your wires, and use some sort of insulation/shielding if you can around them to be safe.
As for audiocontrol. I had a Audiocontrol 4xs crossover in the past that was amazing, and would suggest audiocontrol ANYTHING if you are willing to pay for one. they seem to be amazing pieces to me.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic