icon

JL vs JBL

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
foler2521 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2006 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, what should I get 2x JL W7's, W6's, or JBL W12GTI's??
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 07, 2006 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  
First, answer this:  have you listened to any or all of them? 
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2006 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
I have installed and used and listened to both.
The w7 is better for boom but not for qaulity,.
if you listing to the w7 series sub in front of the speaker while playing it at normal playing volume to me it sounds like crap. (looking at the Front of the speaker while it is playing) Now the sound that comes out of the w7 is amazing as far as the power it was designed very nicely. i think the reason it sounds like plastic hitting when its playing and your standing in front of it is because the center piece is plastic. If it were a material it would sound better look less meaner but better. But it will probably affect the amount of air that it can push when its active. Ps this sub would not be my choise for heavy metal or types of music like that. if your looking for specific instrument sounds you may not get them from this sub. (SQ SIDE)
Now the Gti
Good sub Sounds Good. But to me it takes a lot more power to produce as much bass as the w7 AND the bass does not sound as clean. When i was in a shop working I compared both using a car that had a 1200.1 amp in it and compared a 13w7 to a 15 gti and the w7 blew it away. i know the ohms were different but i got them close using a multi and then pounded them in factory build ported boxes. and the gti lost.
But The gti Sounded so much better as far as sq and was a hell of a lot quicker in responce to specific instruments when playing various different types of music.
I personally had two 12gti with a 1200.1 sub amp to each now i have 2 13w7s and before i upgraded amps had them hooked up to the same jbl 1200.1 mono amp and there was no contest. the w7 ran the jbl out. and i have never looked back.
But this is my opinion you dont have to listen.
Ps This is the most i have posted in so long on the site if i were to post like i used to i would be ranked just as high as some others on here.
I have been registered for a long time.
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2006 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
Out of the three, I'd take the W7's. They're really loud and I really like the way they sound. My cousin and I put a system together with a couple W7's and I love them.
However, it's really all up to which one you like the sound of the most.
willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2006 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  
Don't take this the wrong way but please don't compare these two ever again. JL Audio is in a whole other league! Yes the W7 is very loud and not really great at for sound clarity, but JL makes plenty of other speakers... Listen to some JL Audio and then listen to some JBL and see what you think. I bet you will say to yourself what was I thinking?
downstarinc 
Copper - Posts: 119
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  
man ur gonna open up a can of worms with this one...i have an entire jl system..but i havent listened to jbl (dont think im missing anything)...before you make ur decission, u should hear both of them...price compare..but nothing ive come across is in the same league as a w7.
jl audio..nuff said
willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 1:07 AM / IP Logged  

Orion's H2 could keep up with JL's W7. In fact, the linear Xmax in inchs is better on the H2 than the W7.

W7 has 0.9 in.        H2 has 1.13 in.

I believe the H2 also has a higher wattage rating as well... Don't get me wrong, I LOVE JL Audio! I'm just saying the H2 can certainly be compared.  Back to JBL, I know there subs suck. Me and my cousin have gotten free JBL speakers from a dealer that couldn't even sell them.(and no they weren't defective or anything!) After taking them home and hooking them up we blew every single one of the sets we had within a matter of weeks! With a little higher wattage we got 2 12s to smoke up in 3 hours! Sure they were loud for a little bit, but then again I've heard Radio Shack brand subs play loud for a little bit! They don't play loud after there toast!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic