icon

Static from subwoofer?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
groggy23 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
I just hooked up a new amp, and all I'm getting is static from the subwoofer.  Any suggestions?
groggy23 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2006 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
quick update, tried swapping out RCA's and even took them off completely with just the subwoofer hooked up, static still there.  its a constant low static.  and when volume is turned up the bass drowns it out anyway so its not really THAT bothersome but I would like for it to be completely gone.
groggy23 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  
I have power running one drivers side and rca's running middle. thing is I even tried swapping a set of RCA and ran it on the passenger side, same thing. like i said even with the rca's completely disconnected i still get the low constant static. i even checked the speaker wires, swapped them same thing. Its really odd, I mean the static is barely audible when the engine is running so I'm not that concerned but moreso about the static killing my sub... :(
monorail 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 2:18 AM / IP Logged  
Is your amp (I'm assuming you're running one) isolated from the chassis of the car? You may be getting a bleed through the amp mount.
groggy23 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, in fact its mounted on a 3/4" MDf vertically. But I never had problems before with my MTX amp mounted in same position. What do you mean bleed through?
groggy23 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  

quick update:

Well I just tried a different grounding point, even shorter and I even sanded to bare metal with a gold metal ring terminal and the same thing. In fact I tried 2 different grounding point all result the same. So I at least I have eliminated some possiblities: ground, RCA's, speaker wires.. I'm really stumped on this one. :(

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
Defective amp?
groggy23 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  
^possibly, I just have the worst of luck with the MRD-M605.  I'm on my second one right now.  :(
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  
Maybe time for a different brand/model, unless it's the install...
groggy23 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
^Well I'm not giving up just yet.  Because I didn't have this problem with the same amp a week ago.  so I'm thinking its the wiring.  I'm going to try a 4gauge kit soon and see if that solves the problem.  No matter what settings I fiddle with the amp, nothing..
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic