icon

99 Grand-Am with DEI 555L

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
smitty24 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  

I have a Code Alarm remote start installed with a DEI 555L, on my 99 Grand-Am with Passslock II but cannot get the security light to go out. I have cut the yellow resistance wire on the ket cylinder and attached it with the yellow and BLACK / YELLOW from the DEI Unit resopectively. I can get the car to start with the key and with the remote start, and it stays running but the "security" light in the dash stays on after starting iteither way. It seems to me that the DEI module has learned the R Code, because it starts the car, but why does the in dash "security" light stay on afterwards. It has no other anti-theft device that I know of.

Really pulling my hair out on this one.

Smitty

mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  

Where did you hook up BLACK ( reference ) wire from 555L??

Also did you power up all Ignition wires?

MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
smitty24 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  

Black wire is connected to the black wire on the key cylinder from the Passlock 2 wires. This is the one you would measure for the resistance measurement to the key side of the ignition switch right?

Yes all ignition wires are connected because the blower and AC/heater all work just fine when it is running.

smitty24 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  

What do yo mean "Power up" all igntion wires? They are all connected if thats what you mean.

Smitty

iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
They have to remain powered during crank, not drop out and then come back. the ignition wires anyway. Have you tried relearning the bypass resistance? Do you have the yellow wire (from 555L) going towards the (key side) of the cut yellow passlock wire?
Steve G
smitty24 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  

Steve,

I will double check to make sure that the ignition wires I am using don't drop off during cranking.

Yes the yellow wire is connected to the yellow wire on the key side of the ignition switch not towards the BCM. The yellow/black from the DEI 555L is going towards to BCM side of the yellow wire.

When you say  relearn the Bypass resistance you do you mean start it with the key, and let it run for a minute or so correct!  I don't know how many times I have tried that if that is it.

I will let you know what happens.

Smitty

customak47 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
Swap it out.... so many junk 555L's.... use dbpass23 or gm-bp....hooks up to obd port purple wire direct data interface works best
My rifle is my friend...
tom badger 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with customak47. Sounds like the 555L is not learning the proper resistance. I'll bet if you check the voltage on your passlock 2 wires, you'll find a difference when you check them after starting with the key and after remote starting. Chances are, the voltage measurment when starting with the key is lower than after you remote start.
If this is the case, the 555L has not learned the proper code, is defective, and should be replaced.
The Badger
iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2006 at 7:20 AM / IP Logged  
What did you use to make your connections between the bypass wires and the passlock II wires?
Steve G
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2006 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  
Also, the ground at the key for the Passlock isn't the best ground out there. Try grounding the 555L in the kick with the rest of the starter.
You didn't use the bulb check or the purple wire, right?
I think out of the 100 or so 555L that we have used in the past year, we have had no failures whatsoever. Pretty solid, reliable box.
Also, make sure the pink and green at the key are coming up as ignitions from the remote start, the orange is an accessory, the brown accessory is not required. Make sure the pink on the 555L is connected to the pink ignition.
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic