the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Does Amp's SQ Degrade Over Time?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bogey 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  

If an amp is given reasonable care will it retain it's sound quality 10-15 years? The specific instance I'm concerned with is if a PPI Art Series amp would have the same sq that I remember? I was considering the purchase of one or two.

As a side question, does anyone know how the sound of the JL amps compare with the PPI Art amps?

Thanks.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
Any chance you can hook it up and have a listen to it, or is this a sight-unseen deal?  My knowledge of electronic components is limited, but I think it has more to do with how and how much it was used more than the actual age.  Just the accumulation of dust and residues from the air will have an effect on the switches (noise), which has to do with age.  But those should be something that can be cleaned.  Any non-polarized capacitors used in it will degrade over time, too.  As I understand it, their values change.  I believe that has more to do with usage than age.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
bogey 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  

So would you say that if the amp was run at 4 ohm stereo for 15 years the sq should still be about as good as new?

The amp is sight unseen. At this point it is more of a hypothetical. I'm searching my options. Currently I'm running a Butler 475 which sounds nice, but remember in '95 how sweet it sounded when I had my A600.2 (with gains turned down) running my Boston Components. That my be a power thing. I'm not sure if I remember having better sq than my Butler with my A300 running my comps. Anyway, I would like to get that quality back, whether that come in the form of a used A600 or some other amp. Is there something on the current market without jumping up to the price of McIntosh, Brax, Sinfoni? If not, I guess I'll have to start saving my pennies.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
I don't know...it's a tough life in automotive conditions.  My bet is that it has degraded, if you're comparing to when it was new.  Some of the members who play around with and test older amps will help you out.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  
All electronic components will degrade/wear out overtime (electrical values change,etc.), which means a 15 year old amp may not be within manufacturing tolerances anymore.  How much you will notice this, one way or the other, is up for debate.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic