icon

S-10 extended cab, Type of Enclosure?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2006 at 1:37 AM / IP Logged  

I was wondering about some opinions that you guys might have for a type of enclosure for an S-10 extended cab truck. I've discussed this with quite a few people and we all come up with different answers.

I've delt with plenty of sealed enclosures for subs (at the correct volume for that sub of course) and they sounded good. But whenever you open the doors, or both windows the sound magnifies considerably. (pretty cool) You don't even have to turn up the volume and it seems as if the bass gets louder. I have also heard in other friend's trucks what a ported enclosure sounds like. Even with crappy subs (like Jensen!) it surprisingly didn't sound that terrible! (not amazing bass quality, but decent for what the sub was)

Is the sealed box the way to go for SPL? I've never heard of anyone putting subs in a ported enclosure and entering in SPL contests with it. I plan on running a 10" Orion H2 hooked up to a 1200watt mono-d amplifier. That little truck just will not hold anything more with two other amps besides the 1200 watt amp in the extended cab section. (my goal was to modify without cutting holes in the floor or doing a blow through the bed!) Not an easy task! There is literally no room! Is there a way to get that booming bass as described above while keeping the windows closed? It kinda sucks getting pulled over by the cops for something as stupid as a stereo, but is has happened on more than one occasion! (Always when I'm riding with both windows completely down!) I was told by some people that adding a ported box will make this effect worsen. (windows closed or not it will sound bad with a ported box in that truck) Then again, some people say it helped a lot switching to a ported box. Any opinions would be much appreciated. thanks!

rottenbelly 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2006 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  
I have had about 12 different boxes in my s-10. am currently building a new one with the 10s in a ported box if you want sq i would stick with sealed.if you want spl go with the slot port design. my one slotted 10 is hitting higher spl than all three in a sealed box. box design is very critical to your sound. yeah the window thing is neat. I have a cut out cab double layered with dynamat all inside panels ,and it makes a big difference when u roll windows down. Try 1,75 cu foot with slot port 1.5 wide 10.5 high and 15 long.
rottenbellys 05 crew cab colorado.Pioneer dehp 880prs, kenwood excelon in all 4 doors. Bazooka 500 mono Jl 10w3 in coustom center console box.
willdkartunes 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2006 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  
So a slot ported box would be louder than a sealed as far as SPL? (by louder I mean higher decibals) Orion only recommends a .75 cubic foot vented enclosure, and that's with 1500 watts.
smokinsmitty 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2006 at 7:49 AM / IP Logged  
Ya get a Ported box for SPL and a Sealed if you Want SQ! Well I would build that box the give a bit more air the .75 because that isnt much for a SPL set up!
1 15" Memphis Mojo,
Memphis 16-mc1000D amp,
Audiopipe 4gauge mp kit, Pioneer DEH4700MP head unit.
2002 Yamaha 660R Raptor
Yamaha FZR600 crotch rocket
Sea Doo XP800
Sea Doo Spi
rottenbelly 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2006 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah i dont know how orion gets there specs on boxes but .75 in a ported box just doesnt seem right to me ported boxes tend to need more airspace to work right. i have had a kenwwod ,audiobahn, kicker and mtx in that 1.75 cu ft slotted box and all have done great. if u use a slot port box u should run a subsonic filter to keep from blowin speaker.
rottenbellys 05 crew cab colorado.Pioneer dehp 880prs, kenwood excelon in all 4 doors. Bazooka 500 mono Jl 10w3 in coustom center console box.
remarkable53 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2006 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  

I believe the best bass response that i have ever heard from an S-10 was the Stealth Box by JL Audio. It loads 2 10" w1s in a downfiring sealed enclosure. I about shhh! This was incredible response in one of the hardest vehicles to do. From than on when one of my customers came in to our shop driving an S-10 and wanted "the best" this is what they get. You got to hear it to believe it. It ain't cheap $750.00 but i would put this enclosure up against anything anyone or anybody could make. check it out for yourself.

remarkable53
j_darling2007 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2006 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  

I have a custom built ported box in the back of my ext cab s10.  It has 2 infinity reference 12"s and 600 watts rms.  It definately overpowers the 5 1/4's in the doors.  Any more would probably be overkill without a huge upgrade to the front stage, IMO.  Anyway the subs have 1.25 cubes and it is tuned to 37Hz.  It sounds pretty good in my opinion.

Jacob 

There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't
willdkartunes 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 1:06 AM / IP Logged  

For Remarkable53, your right this is a very hard vehicle to do a system in! The stealth box is nice if your looking to save room and a nice look, but it can't work with the Orion H2 because the depth of that sub is just too big!! I'm definitely going to go with a vented enlosure, but I can't fit a 1.75 cubic foot box in there. Would a 1.25 cu.ft. be all right or too small? This is still way bigger than Orion recommends on their sub, but you guys seem to think that the specs that Orion is giving is wrong... any help would be appreciated.

rottenbelly 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 7:45 AM / IP Logged  
For a 1.25 cu ft box  make port 1.5 wide 10.5tall, and14 .75 long will be tuned to about 42 hz .Box will be 24.5 wide12 deep 11.75 tall
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2006 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  
Take a look at my sig - this is what I have in mine. You can do it, but it takes a lot of time and probably more space than you are willing to give up. If I ever get around to it, I'll post some pictures online somewhere where people can see it.
VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic