icon

MDF box, what kind of screws to use?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
davidh_r 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
Im building a 3/4 mdf box and im wondering what you guys would recommend using for screws. i tried using #8 1-1/2 and predrilling with a standard 7/64 drill bit, but that split the wood. Is this a good size screw to use and i just need to do a larger predrill? if not recommend a different size screw and predrill hole. would a countersink bit make a big difference?
davidh_r 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
also, what would be good placement for the screws?
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
8 is too big, you need to be using a 6 with a 7/64" predrill. Also try switching to a 1+1/4" long screw.
The screws are pretty much just there to hold the box together until the glue dries, so you don't need too many of them. I always countersink and just be careful how much you tighten them down. No need to go crazy and crack the mdf, just make them nice and snug where you see a little bit of glue ooze out of the seam.
tex12gage 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  

I've always used a brad nailer.  Its alot easier then predrilling and using screws.

tex
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  
I would have to disagree about the screws being only useful for holding the box together for the glue to dry. The screws will also help keep the box from falling apart should the glue not be applied correctly, or not enough being used. The type of glue used could also be a factor. True, it shouldn't take many screws to help hold things together, but they should be used regardless, IMO.
VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
davidh_r 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  
1-1/4 isnt going to give the screw much to hold on to once it goes past the 1st board, anyone else this ?
davidh_r 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  
correction: anyone else recommend using the #6 1-1/4 screws?
ddsubman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  
Thats' all I ever use when dealing with 3/4" MDF. I've built a lot of boxes this way and never had a problem. If you use the proper type glue, and proper amount, you can place your screws about 6" or more apart. If you're not too sure about your glues holding power I wouldn't  space them farther than 4" apart.
Gettin' deafer by the day.......96' GMC yukon-Eclipse CD 5442HU
MA Audio HK4000D-Digital Designs 9515F
150+db with one woofer...DD rules!!!!
tex12gage 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  

spread the glue then shoot some brads in it. 

The glue is much stronger than any screws, brads, or even the wood itself.  You only need the screws or brads to keep the wood tight together until the glue dries. Once it dries it's not gonna fall apart.

tex
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  

A tip for making the best bond:  Clamp with many large clamps as hard as you can with glue.  Wait a couple minutes, tighten the clamps a little more, and then screw. 

I make my speaker enclosures without any screws.  With enough clamps and careful planning screws are unnecessary.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic