icon

Speaker wire size

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
smokinsmitty 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
What size speaker wire should I use inside my box and from my amp to my terminals on the back of my box? I have a Audiobahn A8002T amp and 2 12" Fusion PowerPlant subs
1 15" Memphis Mojo,
Memphis 16-mc1000D amp,
Audiopipe 4gauge mp kit, Pioneer DEH4700MP head unit.
2002 Yamaha 660R Raptor
Yamaha FZR600 crotch rocket
Sea Doo XP800
Sea Doo Spi
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
16g would be fine if the box is close to the amp.  You'll probably want 12 to impress your friends.  ;-)
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  

I now use Canare 4S11 for just about everything, home and car.  It is tough as nails and can either be wired in 14g bi-amp or 11g when the 2 pairs are combined to form one. 

Look here:

http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?products_id=528

Diycable is great, but overpriced for this item.  See Markertek.

prophesybh 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  

Most subs have a recommended gauge you should use.  Like my speakers use an 8 gauge wire.  so look in you manual or go to the manufactures website and find the recommended gauge to use

Don't Ask Questions When You Already Know The Answer!!!
kfr01 
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  

prophesybh wrote:
Most subs have a recommended gauge you should use.  Like my speakers use an 8 gauge wire.  so look in you manual or go to the manufactures website and find the recommended gauge to use.

Most subs recommend unnecessarily large gauge sizes.  They usually do this to make their company and their subs look tougher than they really are.

A 12g wire will handle a 5 foot run of 1500w without any audible SPL loss. 

8 gauge.  That's funny as hell.

prophesybh 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2006 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  
I had a smaller gauge ran, then I re-installed the into a different box with 8 gauge wire and the sound quility is a bit better.  I'm not saying it made all the difference in the world, but made some.
Don't Ask Questions When You Already Know The Answer!!!
kfr01 
Posted: February 16, 2006 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  

prophesybh wrote:
I had a smaller gauge ran, then I re-installed the into a different box with 8 gauge wire and the sound quility is a bit better.  I'm not saying it made all the difference in the world, but made some.

8 Gauge speaker wire is totally laughable.  If it made an audible difference, which I highly doubt, it was because your other wire had something wrong with it or was less than 14 gauge.

You simply could not have heard an audible difference between a 12 gauge wire and 8 gauge wire.  I don't care how much power you're using or how long the run is. 

At 2000 watts running a 1 ohm load 5 feet, the decibel loss will be less than 0.20 db.  You can't here this loss.  No one can.  You're kidding yourself if you think you can hear a difference between 12 and 8 gauge speaker wire.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 16, 2006 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
No, at the same time you installed the sub into a different box.  That was the difference.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 17, 2006 at 12:43 AM / IP Logged  

prophesybh wrote:

It's amazing how much psychoacoustics can effect your experiences.  If you expect to hear a difference, you probably will.  Here's an interesting link: http://www.bcae1.com/wire.htm  It proves that even 18 awg wire ran 12 feet with even a kilowatt of power running through it has inaudible losses. 

ajctodd 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2006 at 2:07 AM / IP Logged  

Question....

1.)What happens if let's say you lengthen your factory speaker wire that's 16 gauge to a 12 gauge wire running to your speakers? That's bad right?

2)I just bought a pair of rockford fosgate 6''1/2' component punch speakers and when i hooked them up to my jvc head unit, it sounded like crap when i turned it up, and i know these speakers a re made for loud play...What's going on?

Adam J. Todd
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic