the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

hard decission, 2 jl w7 or 2 re sx 12''s?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
downstarinc 
Copper - Posts: 119
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
Ok im either getting 2 w712" or 2 re sx12"s...imma put a jl audio 1000/1 to each sub...im looking for both sq and spl...i have heard both of these and they both sound great, thats where the hard decission comes in...i do like clean bass and i wanna do db drag also...i have a 69 chevelle...thanks!
jl audio..nuff said
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2006 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  

How have you been making your decision so far? 

Those are subs that require and work best in different boxes.  Have you measured their estimated response in a box that will fit in your trunk?

My guess is no.   If you're serious about car audio and learning how to do things right the first time, then read:

http://www.bcae1.com/ from front to back.  Then download WinISD pro (free) and start modeling different boxes and drivers up.  It isn't a perfect program, but you'll be able to ballpark the differences between the required box sizes and expected frequency response for the two different drivers.

If you're going to abuse the sub, I'd recommend saving up for one of the more expensive RE models.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
downstarinc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2006 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  
size of enclosure is not a concern...i would like an opinion on experiences with both models of subs and which will be more likely to fit my needs of clean bass with the option of getting high #'s.
jl audio..nuff said
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2006 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  
Look at your little tag....   jl audio..nuff said.
You already are investing in JL amps. If you want to do DB drag, you are obviously putting the subs in slotted enclosures? correct? I say stay brand loyal, odds are you will be happy. I have heard them both, in completely different vehicles, and different variations of boxes, and can tell you they both sound great, but cant compare them properly, because they were never in the same type of vehicle, with alike boxes. No clueeee what will sound the best in your chevelle. Id personally can the subs and amps, and invest in a big block, unless you already got one.hard decission, 2 jl w7 or 2 re sx 12''s? -- posted image.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2006 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  

downstarinc wrote:
size of enclosure is not a concern...i would like an opinion on experiences with both models of subs and which will be more likely to fit my needs of clean bass with the option of getting high #'s.

No, the enclosure is always a concern when considering subwoofers.  Learn how to evaluate subs on your own with some intelligence. 

Or do you just want some responses like:

"JL ARE ELITE! THEY PWN RE SUBS"

...? 

Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2006 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  
kfr01 wrote:

downstarinc wrote:

No, the enclosure is always a concern when considering subwoofers.  Learn how to evaluate subs on your own with some intelligence. 

Or do you just want some responses like:

"JL ARE ELITE! THEY PWN RE SUBS"

...? 

Couldn't have said it better hard decission, 2 jl w7 or 2 re sx 12''s? -- posted image. hard decission, 2 jl w7 or 2 re sx 12''s? -- posted image. heehee

If you have the opportunity (the original poster, that is) to audition both speakers, then this will go MILES in helping you determine which one you should choose.

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
downstarinc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2006 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
yah, i wanna go with some w7's but i havent been that happy with the db #'s...ive had 4 w3v2's and 4 w6v2's and i havent even reached 144...i guess why im considering re is because they are cheaper, said to be as clean, and do big #'s. I could get 2 w712"s for $900 but i dont kno if i wanna spend that much if re is gonna be better for my application.
jl audio..nuff said
kfr01 
Posted: February 16, 2006 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  

So, keep spending money and trying different subs blindly until you decide to learn how speakers and enclosures actually work. 

I say again.  Read http://www.bcae1.com/   then The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook by Vance Dickason.  Then download some software like WinISD. 

Learn how make buying smart decisions.

Bigsingh 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2006 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
wat im not understanding is why would you not compare a W7 with a XXX which in some peoples opinions are equals why compare two totally different subs which, u want mad spl go for a xxx. But u really r comparing 2 subs where the SE is not even in the league of the W7, hav  a look into a XXX  
6* Rockford T2's
6* POWER AMPs
BLACK CORRADO
BAANNGGIINN

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic