Copper - Posts: 199
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2006 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  
wrote:
PIAA Super Plasma..
Expensive though.
You forgot over-rated and short lived
How do 'extra' or 'super' lights work
The way these bulbs are made is buy using a High Output filament which is actually brighter than the legal limit. The cost of that extra output is a shorter life.
Then they put on a filter coating which blocks all of the light except for that one band of color- which actually reduces the light output, to adjust above the minimum allowed.
The only thing that looks like a higher powered lamp is the color. You won't find many makers that will make readily available the actual output of the lamp.
Something else these bulbs do is have more glare. Basic physics here, as the blues and purples have a higher angle of refraction than white or yellow bulbs. More glare = more light coming back at you, and less light illuminating in front of you.
That angle of refraction is why fog lights were traditionally yellow in color- to reduce the glare.
nicky9 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2006 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  

papabear82 wrote:
I use http://www.eurodezigns.com because of the lifetime warrenty

I have these aswell.  But for the price (off ebay) I dont care if they go out.  But they are bright and I am happy with them!

petie-tl 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 1:29 AM / IP Logged  
my headlight bulbs are nokya.... they look cool because of the bright WHITE/ bluish tint, but with that comes reduced light output.... if I didn't have my yellow fogs, I would barely be able to see the road in front of me.
petie
'98 Acura TL 3.2
ff-mike 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  
Sylvania Silver Stars give out quickly for a known reason- they are overdriving the filament so that the dipped color crap on them does not reduce the output level below the accepted range.
It really surprises me that Osram (Sylvania's parent company} actually allows them to market the Silver Star, as Osram also markets one- and the Osram Silver Star is a bonafide good bulb
If you really want good functioning bulbs, get Narva RangePower+50 or RangePower+30, GE Night Hawk, Phiilps Vision Plus, or Osram Silver Stars.
BigWheelinBubba 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
petie-tl wrote:
my headlight bulbs are nokya.... they look cool because of the bright WHITE/ bluish tint, but with that comes reduced light output.... if I didn't have my yellow fogs, I would barely be able to see the road in front of me.
I have the same ones and i agree..
Also i read on http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html that without yellow in the light you won't be able to see sh*t.
The blues look cool, and they work decent when its dry out, but when its wet you might as well be driving with sunglasses on.
ff-mike 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  
BigWheelinBubba wrote:
Also i read on http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html that without yellow in the light you won't be able to see sh*t.
The blues look cool, and they work decent when its dry out, but when its wet you might as well be driving with sunglasses on.
Can be worse than sunglasses. The blue crap tends to reflect back in your face, and creates more glare for other drivers
bassplayer24_7 
Copper - Posts: 40
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2006 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  
deagle50ae wrote:
i love my Sylvania Silverstars. i have them for mains and fogs. they run about $20 each and should last as long as regular halogen bulbs as long as you dont get fingerprints on them.
they dont have much blue to them but they are very bright.
here. have a picture.
Best looking aftermarket headlight bulbs - Page 2 -- posted image.
i agree i like the sylvania silverstars
(2) 12" JL W3V3
(1) 6" JL W0
Phoenix Gold Octane R 8.0:1
Phoenix Gold Octane R 2.0:1
Phoenix Gold Octane R 5.0:4
Clarion Crossover
JVC Head Unit
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2006 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  

I prefer Plasmaglow Platinums, slight bluish tinge to them but nothing to crazy. Bright and the have a 10yr warranty. I have sold many sets and no complaints.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic