icon

paint and such

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
naptothed 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2006 at 7:00 AM / IP Logged  

Hey I'm new to to "system" fiberglassing, and I was wondering if everyone one would post up there equipment for painting ( i.e. - brands of paint, guns, and the psi used ) there enclosures.  I hate painting with cans, and I own a compressor, so I'm looking for a cheap alternative that ya'll know works good.

Thanks in advance

naptothed 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2006 at 7:05 AM / IP Logged  

Also, this may be an incredibly stupid question, but what exactly wet sanding?  Is that using say 1200 grit sand paper that's soaked in water to sand?  Can someone explain this entire process.

Thanks Again

psychographic 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2006 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  
I have too many spray guns, touch up guns and airbrushes to list. If all you are doing is painting small areas you don't neeed a great gun, spraying is all practice and learning how the product you are using sprays. Wet sanding is sanding with water to keep the paper from clogging.You do need paper made for this purpose.
Sessland 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2006 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
Most air tools (guns etc,.) will have an air consumption rate or requirement for that tool. This can vary quite a bit between brands/products. Make sure that your compressor can handle the cfm and you should be fine.
For example this Dual Action sander calls for:
Operating pressure: 90 PSI
Air consumption: 6.0 CFM
If your compressor can put out 6.0 CFM @ 90 PSI, then you should be able to run that tool no problems.
jlord16 
Silver - Posts: 322
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 5:18 AM / IP Logged  
The paint your using will specify the thinning and pressure required to properly spary the product
Clarion DB36MP
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
ragoal12 
Copper - Posts: 135
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2006 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  

well ur looking for a cheap alternative to spray cans.. well there isn't one unless u like capreting your projects... u get what u pay for with spray guns.. some guns r no better than puff cans really... SATA is top of the line but not needed... and do u know how to mix paint? as this is often screwy and when not mixed right you have to strip your project and start over so you need to do some practicing before... would hate to see someone mess up a project after long hours of work...

just a note: most of the art in spraying is in your body work.. if its not smooth before u paint it won't be afterward.. prep work is more important than the actual painting process to me...

S.O.B custsoms.. South Omaha, Nebraska
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2006 at 3:20 AM / IP Logged  

Best type of guns to use are the HVLP type. For just your basic paint job, all you really need is a quart size HVLP. If you plan on graphics, add a detail HVLP to it. If your compressor isn't HVLP type, you can buy a gun that has the regulator on it, so you can use an HVLP gun on a regular compressor. Regular guns are fine too, but HVLP will let your paint come on smoother with a lot less overspray.

Ganbatte Ne!

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic