icon

Is DEI 555G Defective?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tom badger 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2006 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  
This is a new topic, but this car has much more detail discussed in previous posts (about 3 weeks ago), including problems with the car's BCM.
I installed a DEI 555G in a 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix.
Car remote started and cleared all security lights with factory key in ignition, so proceeded with 555G installation per installation instructions and wiring diagram (for fuel enable).
Everything worked perfectly for approximately 3 weeks.
Now, car intermittently will remote start, but the security light ALWAYS stays on after being remote started, even after inserting ignition key, pressing brake to disable remote start and putting in gear).
Sometimes, the car will not remote start at all - the security light flashes, car starts for a few seconds, dies, then repeats this process unsuccessfully 2 more times after 2 additional remote start attempts.
If key is placed in ignition (with ignition off) and remote started, everything still works perfectly -
Car remote starts and clears all security lights as it should.
Need suggestions of things to try to remedy this problem - or is the 555G defective, or could the BCM which has been proven to have pre-existing problems be sending wrong information to the 555G ?
The Badger
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 17, 2006 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  
i was told you couldnt reliably use the 555G on the newer Gr Prix's and to use a universal bypass
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
tom badger 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2006 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
Hey Kevin,
You could be correct.
It seems the 555G is not really learning the proper key code. When starting with the key itself or remote starting with the key in the ignition, everything works perfectly.
It seems to me that if the BCM was bad or sending the wrong code, the factory key would not work or would cause a security light issue. On this car, I did have to disable the arming and disarming of the factory anti-theft system to prevent the car from going into alarm when it was remote started. All the wires were hooked up correctly and functioned as they should when I tested them, but the plug going into the BCM on the unlock/disarm wire terminal proved to be bad. The car also had a parasitic voltage problem (prior to the R/S installation) which caused the battery to go dead if the car sat for more than 12 hours. After disabling the anti-theft, the battery problem went away.
But I still think I have a problem with the 555G.
Any other ideas or input would be appreciated.
The Badger
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2006 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
555G works perfectly on the grand prix in my experience, it's not even required to program it.
make sure you're using the blue/white wire on the bypass and not the violet, also make sure the jumper is in the "fuel" position and not the "class 2"
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
tom badger 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  
Yep. Using the blue/white wire for fuel enable system
(not the violet for data). It is tied to the blue wire in the harness. The pink wire in the harness is cut, and the pink/black wire on the 555G is tied to the key side of the pink wire, and the pink wire on the 555G is tied to the ECM side of the cut pink wire of the harness. The green key sense wire from the 555G is tied to the light green key sense wire near the key cylinder. The blue wire on the 555G ties to the negative output wire on the R/S. Black is to good chasis ground, red to 12V+. Jumper is in the "fuel" position (on the 2 pins furthest away from the led).
It worked perfectly for 3 weeks.
Now,won't clear security light if remote started.
If started with the key, or if remote started with the key in the ignition (in the off position, it starts, runs, and clears the lights exactly as it should.
What else could the problem be if not a bad 555G ???
The Badger
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  
make sure the blue/black wire is getting activated during remote start. try grounding it then remote starting.
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
tom badger 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
Shaughn,
Thanks. I'll check the blue/black wire as you suggested and let you know.
The Badger

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic