icon

power window kits

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 9:05 AM / IP Logged  
anyone done these?? what are tey like compared to oem??
i seen a few kits for sale without switches. one of tne companies said i can't use oem switches. has anyone here used oem switches on aftermarket switches
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  
Depending on the Manufacturer.....
I like the ELECTRIC LIFE kits ..........They make complete OEM ( replace the regulator ) type units that work real nice.......But NOT for ALL vehicles.
SPAL has GOOD Universal kits.........
Hardest part about any of them is running wires & type Vehicle
MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  
The SPAL kits are great, real easy to work with. They do not come with switches so remember to order them. They also do not come with a child safety lockout, so order another switch to enable the child safety side for the other windows if necessary.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
natsys 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
I installed 2 SPAL kits about 6 months ago--both on 2 door vehicles. Very easy. If you use the SPAL switches they rest both motor legs to positive 12 volts. When you press the switch it lifts one leg from positive and switches it to ground. Only one glitch--the passenger window switch backlighting goes off when the window goes up when controlled from the master switch. I can't figure out why and the dealer says they all do it. Both of my kits did so I'm inclined to believe him. It's not really a major problem.
One of the vehicles was a 2005 Chevy Colorado pick up. Had only been out a short time but the kit had the necessary adaptors for the window cranks. The other was a 2003 Econoline van--both had plenty of room to run wires. The hardest part was determining where to mount the motors, but there is great flexibility on how to mount them so only the tightest installs would have a problem.
You should be able to use factory switches if you knew how they worked. I'd guess most are either rest at ground or rest at 12+. Either way, if you can figure out the switch inputs and outputs I think they'd work with SPAL units unless they're some really unusual kind of switch. I bought the deluxe motor models--they claim more torque than standard ones. Performance is as good as factory power units. If you didn't have the aftermarket switches you couldn't tell the difference.
mustangfoo 
Silver - Posts: 371
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  

I just finished installing a 4 window universal kit.  it was $140 shipped and worked fantastic and came with switches, motors, wiring harness and everything.  Best of all it had lighted switches which are fabulous.  They are in pods to mount to the door, or you can pop the switches out and flush mount them to a console or something.  The only thing bad about the kit was that the instructions were vauge, but did not stop me from figuring out what I was doing.  If you are interested, let me know I will look it up to see where I bought it from.

natsys my kit wasnt SPAL but very VERY similar and the lights also shutoff when the window is controlled from the master switch and when you shut off the lockout the lights on the passenger doors go off.

I was going to use some switches out of a 91 Honda Accord mounted in my center console, but though the pods looked a little better in my case.

THIS IS A GREAT BUY GUYS I REALLY RECOMMEND BECAUSE YOU GET EVERYTHING AND DO NOT LOSE QUALITY WITH THE $140 PRICE TAG!!!

Powermyster 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2006 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
i was looking at the spal ones myself. i might go for the delux kit..
the main thing is the oem swithes i would like to use them its a 98 mitsubishi lancer. mirage if your stateside..
is there any reason why oem switches wouldn't work. e.g. power handling.. how much power would i be switching
Darren Power
Joe Neal 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2006 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
If you use Relays, you won't have to worry to much about load on Switches
Powermyster 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2006 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  
i know that but i don't wanna have to use loads of relays
Darren Power
Powermyster 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2006 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
wanna order these soon any idea's on the switches can i use the oem ones direct.. or hase anyone got a wiring diagram for anyh of these window kits. do the use a brain or are they all wired direct through switches
Darren Power

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic