icon

Dayton tweeters with factory 6x8s?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  

I was looking around on partsexpress.com and I found these Dayton tweeters for only $4.60 each. My mom has an alpine cd player with factory speakers all around and everything sounds ok, except the highs are missing. The factorys 6x8s are reaaaly low in the door so the highs are almost completely blocked out by your legs when you're sitting in the front seats.

Would these tweeters along with a simple crossover be able to fill in the highs? I'd probably mount them higher up on the door panels, and they would recieve around 16 watts rms from the alpine headunit. I have no idea what to do for a crossover though.

I forgot to mention that she has JL 8w0 in a t-box powered by a small alpine amp also.

thanks

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  
Sure!  If she has factory 6X8 speakers they are probably whizzer-cone full-ranges without a tweeter.  I'd use a high-pass crossover at 3600 or 4000 Hz and give 'em a try.  A capacitor in series with each one somewhere between 6.6 uf and 7.4 uf would work just fine - like THESE.   (BTW, for crossover planning look at a tweeter's fs number and high-pass at no lower than 2X the fs.)  Those tweets are 92db sensitivity so you may need to pad them down a bit to keep them from sounding too shrill.
Support the12volt.com
customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  
Would it sound alright if I only used a crossover on the tweeter then? Those dayton tweeters are 6 ohms BTW, would that affect the crossover point? One last thing... could i get away with using these Dayton caps instead of the solen ones? I'm cheap. Dayton tweeters with factory 6x8s? -- posted image.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2006 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, only crossover the tweets, leave the whizzers full range it shouldn't matter.  The values I gave you were calculated for 6 ohms.  The Dayton caps should work just fine.  Dayton tweeters with factory 6x8s? -- posted image.
Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 19, 2006 at 2:39 AM / IP Logged  

Those are the tweeters I'm using in the dipole rear surround speakers in my HT system.  They sound very musical and detailed, and belie their low cost.  I even run those speakers full range sometimes when listening to music at some fairly loud levels. 

You might try sticking them in some different locations with tape before you cut  holes.  A change in position height may keep you from having to pad them.  I would try it even in the very center of the 6X8's grill and listen to how they sound from there.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2006 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  
Well I wasn't sure on what to do about mounting them because they don't have any grills, so I'm worried about them being accidentally punched in by someone or something. I looked at mounting them at the very bottom of the a-pillar firing at each other but I don't think that will sound too good (the 6x8s are in the very bottom of the door). I guess I'll just have to listen to them in different places like you said.
darthness 
Copper - Posts: 136
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2006 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  
those tweeters are fine... i have mine mounted in the sail panels in my car, they are great imo. I use this partnumber 027-334 < for my crossover.
DYohn 
Posted: February 19, 2006 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  
darthness, I do not recommend using standard non-polarized electrolytics like that for high-pass crossovers.  They can really sound bad and their capacitance value changes radically with heat.  At 5.6uF you are crossing over at 4750 Hz which is fine, but I'd spend the $4 on an audio-grade poly cap if you want it to not sound shrill.  Dayton tweeters with factory 6x8s? -- posted image.
Support the12volt.com
customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2006 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  

darthness wrote:
those tweeters are fine... i have mine mounted in the sail panels in my car, they are great imo. I use this partnumber 027-334 < for my crossover.

Got any pics of them installed?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic