icon

05 pontiac grand prix, remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
s_p_n_k_r_07 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2006 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  

I've done two remote starts, the first a valet and the second a viper 160. Both just keyless and R/S. and both had the same issue the theft system warning message comes up in the message center.

The first car after re-setting a ton of times i got to go off on its own, or maybe it just went off on its own.

The second the customer comes in weekly to see if i've found a soultion for the issue.

any help would be great.

sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2006 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  
The problem is probably due to the Passkey III interface you have used. To confirm that this is the problem, disconnect the one you used and place the key in the ignition cylinder, but don't turn it on. Try using the remote starter to see if the service theft system message goes away. It should. Use a PKU-GM type bypass. It works well and I have not had any problems with them provided you install the wire ring around the factory transponder exicter ring.
sparky
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 19, 2006 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
That's a known issue the Grand Prix, as well as the similar Buick LaCrosse.
When the car "sees" two keys at once, the "SERVICE THEFT SYSTEM" message appears on the display.
Configure a relay like this:
85: IGN 2 from remote start (you shouldn't have it hooked up to anything else, since that car only has one ignition wire)
86: light green, negative keysense wire from car
87: not used
87a, 30: Cut the ground-when-running wire from your bypass module in half, and connect each half to 87a and 30----doesn't matter which side goes where.
Now, whenever the remote starter is on, and a key is inserted in the ignition, the signal to the bypass module will be interrupted.......therefore, the car cannot see two keys at once.
TIP: After you've made the repair, cycle the ignition switch on and off 7 times to clear the display.
s_p_n_k_r_07 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2006 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  

I guess I should have told you which bypass I used,    It was a 556uw, so it already has the relay you described built in. and i made sure it was energizing and de-energizing correctly with the key in the key cylinder.

And it dosent come on for about five minutes, the customer was the one (after he had left) that came back and brought it to my attention. I cleared the code with the seven cycles of the key, after letting it run for about five the light came back on.

The only thing that is remotely confidence inspiring is that the first one of these i did the light shut off after about a week.

I really appreciate the help, and I hope this info helps ya better understand the product i used

another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2006 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
try changing the jumper inside the 556u to the lower winding setting. had a cherokee that kept doing something similar. relay in the 556u was kicking off and on, but the vehicle still saw two keys. changed the jumper to the lower and never saw him again.
s_p_n_k_r_07 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2006 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  

wow, i didn't even think about that.

I will call the customer tomorrow and see about doing that its about the only thing that we havent tried.

thanks.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic