repairing OEM plastic panel

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
justtegit 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2006 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  

For a  little background:

I have started to rework my fiberglass enclosure for my 15 in my 1994 Integra.  Its kind of an unusual setup in that I used the OEM cargo cover by cutting it up and using it as a base for my fiberglass...anyway here is what it used to look like:

repairing OEM plastic panel - Last Post -- posted image.

And what it is like right now sinice it  was totally cut up and re-fiberglassed with a big ass 18" diameter flush ring instead of the surface mount crap i had before that let air leak out..:

So anyway my question deals with repairing an OEM plastic panel that is on the underside of the hatch (trunk) door.  It is a snap-in plastic panel that hides the metal frame, and has the standard vinyl-look texture to it. 

In order to fit the new trim ring I had to cut a radius out of the front of the panel, and now there is a gap i need to fill.  Sorry I don't have a picture but basically the area in the drawing that is highlighted needs to be filled.

The problem you can see is that the panel is composed of two pieces, a small upper section tilted at a 4 degree angle, and a large lower portion.  The fact that I cut the radius out has left the crescent moon shaped opening there.  I am afraid to just fiberglass it and bondo it since there will be flexing between the two panels.  Is my only option to use a plastic repair glue like  DURAMIX and just glue it to one of the two ppieces, to allow them to still be independant? 

Beyond that, once repaired I am going to nee to refinish it.  Is SEM Texture paint the only paint that will resemble the OEM plastic texture?  Thanks guys.

SoundAudio 
Copper - Posts: 242
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2006 at 8:56 AM / IP Logged  

I am having troubles visualizing because I can't even picture the interior of that car and my buddy has one.  I would take some abs plastic because it bends fairly easily and you could just bend it to the shape.  I would glue it to the top piece in your picture to keep that straight line seam between the two pieces.  The rest is just finish work, bondo, texture, and paint.  I think that the SEM texture spray is what people have the most success with.  I've heard of using a 3M protective coating spray, but I think that just gives a general dimpled effect much like the undercoating of rocker panels on some cars.  I use the SEM stuff.  The final look will depend on how clean you cut the panels and finish them to keep that seam uniform and straight.

Good Luck with this project.

Your flush ring might leak too, so put some gasket tape under the basket ring of the speaker. 

Good Luck!
-Thad
justtegit 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2006 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
thanks...where could i pick up a small sheet of ABS plastic?
SoundAudio 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2006 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  
www.partsexpress.com but shipping will burn you because they always do.  A local shop might have some laying around they would sell you. I would recommend 1/8 thick and you can heat it some if it is being stubborn.  I would also use some super glue with activator spray to tack it in place and then glue permenantly.
Good Luck!
-Thad
justtegit 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2006 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged  
cool thanks. as far as finishing goes I really do not want to spend alot on the SEM paint considering I might not even like the look.  I would really have to repaint the entire panel too which i dont want to do either.  I have figured out a way to simply glue the ABS filler piece to the top 45 degree angled part ONLY, and just cleanly sand the edge of the lower panel and leave it alone.  You can only see the lower panel edge from inside the trunk anyway, and my box is really designed to be shown off from the cabin, not the trunk.  As far as finishing goes, instead of paint I am going to wrap just the small 45 degree piece in left over vinyl from my box.  That should make a perfect transition from the box to the trim.  Thanks for the advise.  Anyone else have a specific place i could get a small piece of ABS cheaply? I have already spent over $300 on the box materials alone since I am redoing all of the fiberglass..that shizzle gets expensive very fast, lol.
SoundAudio 
Posted: February 22, 2006 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
www.cardomain.com has it in 12x12 if that is big enough.
Good Luck!
-Thad

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic