icon

what cap value for 2 ohm 6x9's?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
joeyk 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2006 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  
Hello, I am new here. I know enough to be dangerous but that's about it. Anyways,...
I have an '01 Pontiac Grand Am with the Monsoon. I have a 12" RF dvc sub & RF punch 400s amp for my subs setup. What I'd like to do is block some of the bass to the stock Monsoon 6x9's They tend to rattle after time as they can't seem to handle lower frequency bass.
Any idea's on what value of capacitor(s) I should use on them?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
joeyk 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2006 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
... Sorry, I forgot to ad, incase some of you may not know; the Monsoon 6x9's in question are 2 ohm.
(The Monsoon speaker system is set up as follows; rear 6x9's- 2 ohm / front 4x6's - 2 ohm / rear tweeters - 4 ohm / front tweeters - 6 ohm) I thought that may be of use to someone whom may search this subjectwhat cap value for 2 ohm 6x9's? -- posted image.
sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2006 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
You will need something near 600UF, you will want one that is about 40-50hz at 4 ohms, the frequency will double when you drop it down to 2 ohms.  I couldnt find any at installedge's website, but Im sure there is something out there.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2006 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  

I would first put some hat's on those 6x9's to keep the subs from moving the cones. Next I would add some non-polar mylar caps to the + speaker lead and cut them off around the 150hz mark, perhaps even higher as they are a 6db slope. Nothing wrong with going higher and playing it safe. Here are some values for you, you can see how the scale works with the 3 values I listed, so feel free to go anywhere in between as well.

400hz - 200mf

200hz - 400mf

100hz - 800mf

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
joeyk 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2006 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, thatnks for the ideas. Looks like I could use one in the range of 525 to 650 uf. Any ideas on where to find one though? Radio Shack jumps from 470 to 1000 uf with nothing in between. :-(
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2006 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
DON'T buy crossover caps at Radio Shack as they are not audio grade.  Try Parts Express or Madisound.
Support the12volt.com
mike21491 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2006 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
i have got a 2000watt amp and i my friend is going to sell me two 1.5 caps can u hook them up together or will i have to go buy a 3.0 cap and one other ? i want to walmart and i got the 800watt dub editon speaker is this a good speaker thank you very much
<33((mike))<33
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 22, 2006 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  
Mike, that's an entirely different subject.  Start a new topic and follow the forum guidelines when asking your question.  You'll get better help that way.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
joeyk 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2006 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
Everything I have found is geared towards either 8 or 4 ohm. I cannot find a high ebough uf value. Is it possible to run a pair of 250uf capacitors in series to obtain a 500uf value?
(I'd like for my cut off to be at or near 150 hz)
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 25, 2006 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  

Capacitor values are added together by wiring parallel.  Put two caps together and twist the leads together.  Solder.

http://www.carstereo.com/help2/Articles.cfm?id=14 is a crossover calculator.  If you enter 2 ohm for impedance and 150 Hz as the target freq, it tells you to use a 265 uF value.  As you have seen, crossover-quality caps for low freqs get VERY expensive.  I suggest a combination of caps in parallel:  two non-polarized electrolytic and one poly.  100 and 125 uF electrolytics and 40 uF poly.  Bundle them together in parallel to add the values together.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic