icon

multiple siren relay wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cjastacio 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2006 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  

Ok I know that there have been many posts regarding this subject.  Yes I did a search.  But I am having problems and am a bit confused.  Here is my current wiring configuration, from my alarm wiring instructions. 

85-> Positive siren output from the alarm\

86-> Ground

30-> Siren #1

87-> Siren #2

What I have seen on this site says to attach 87 to 12v constant. 

When I test my current configuration I can hear the relay switch but no output to either siren.  I tested each siren indevidually and they both work fine.  If I do need to wire a 12v constant source where can I get it from?  I am installing on a Scion xB.  There are two constant 12v in the ignition plug, one 40A and another 15A.  I am using the 40A for the alarm.  Can I use the 15A constant?  My last question is whether I need a relay.  I am only hooking up two sirens, interior and exterior.  I know that the interior only draw 150ma but I am not sure about the exterior. 

dea,can 
Copper - Posts: 284
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2006 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  
I have wired  both sirens together lots of times and was ok nothing has never come back .
dragon
Hornshockey 
Silver - Posts: 520
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2006 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  
you should use the 87 to +12V. I'm not sure where the setup you have right now came from, it doesn't make any sense. For two sirens you shouldn't need a relay.   You can always play it safe and put one in, especially if you plan to add more sirens. wire the relay like this
85 - Siren output from alarm
86 - ground
30 - Output to sirens
87 - +12V input
You can use either of the constant wires under the dash to get your 12V input, just be sure you fuse it between the ign harness and the relay.
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while; you could miss it.
cjastacio 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2006 at 1:21 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys!  After pondering I understand why my current setup doesn't work.  I think I will just go ahead and wire the two sirens together without the relay.  I have no plans of adding any more sirens.  But you have definitely tought me something tonight!
cjastacio 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2006 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged  
Just another quick thought......Someone else may be interested in this also.  Is there any way to wire a back up siren that will only sound if one or both of the others are cut while the alarm is armed?  I know that there are sirens with battery back ups but if I installed one I would only want it to work in this configuration. 
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2006 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
Maybe if you wired the siren power line with coax or something, but I don't see any easy way to detect a difference between the conditions of a cut wire and a siren output that's just off, unless your alarm module output isn't simply an open circuit when it's not sounding off.
I thought up a way to have a backup siren go off for 45 seconds if any attempt was made to start the car with the alarm power cut, but that's not what you're looking for.
cjastacio 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2006 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
That sounds interesting, tell me more.
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2006 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
Though this isn't what you had in mind, this was a variation on the usual starter kill setups that I was considering, using the ground-out-while-armed signal from an alarm, with a backup siren.
If the alarm power is cut, the car won't start since the starter interrupt relay runs off it, and if they attempt to start it after yanking the alarm, the backup siren goes off.
multiple siren relay wiring - Last Post -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic