icon

Overhead console in a 91 Camaro

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
moser 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2006 at 7:40 AM / IP Logged  
I'm sure most of you can tell that I'm new around here, and I just have a question.
I drive a 91 Camaro RS and I was curious if it would be possible to make a overhead console streaching (and including) the dome light, to the windshield, and going a little bit down it. I would like it to go down the windshield just a little bit so I can put a radar detector in a compartment. I would also like it to make the dome light built into the whole console.
I'm a super noob when it comes to FB so I was just wondering if it was even possible. If so, any Ideas or tips? How would I mount it to the ceiling and make the headliner go around it?
Thanks!
-Moser
fingaz22 
Silver - Posts: 410
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2006 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  

diffently possible, anything is possible when you put your mind to it. i own a 86 iroc-z myself so i love these cars and im also in the making of some mods myself.

first thing is what ruff do you have? t-tops or full? sounds like full but will matter a little. for mounting this up to the ruff you have a few different options. but the only one i would trust and do is tac with a welder studs. so you have a good starting base.

you will need to do alot of research on your own to get a idea of what your going to have to do. and instead of me retyping all of this you can search this subject right here in this site.

just take your time and you will be fine start with a mark up and fine tune untill you commit to anything. good luck.

i would love to to see the car before and after. send so pics. thankx

JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
hu,alpine cva 1005/dva 5205
sound processor,symmetry(first one).
sub amp,power 1000 the terminator.(1992).
subs,spl comp dual 1 ohms.
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2006 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  
go to hzemall.com and check out his projects page, look under his section on his buick regal, then click on overhead console on the left.  He used a few metal brackets with bolts hung down out of them to bolt in his overhead console, sounds like a pretty good method to me, at the very least you will get some ideas and inspiration from his stuff.
torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2006 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  

Hey, just to help you plan.  There has been a number of my overhead consoles I have fabricated in $$$$$.$$ vehicles that I didnt dare weld in...LOL!!!  In order to provide fastening methods so the console would stay solid.  I removed the headliner panels.  Used a small grinder to grind away the coating and to expose a rough surface.  I used everthing from JB Weld to numerous types of epoxies to make my brackets, threaded studs, and bolts adhere to the roof metal.  This way there is no heat transfer to burn the paint on the outside of the body as well, it tends to cause variable problems with customers and your wallet.  A "round about" measurement  is needed from some interior reference point to the bracket/stud/bolt.  Measure this on the headliner panel.  Poke/punch/cut a hole that is required for the clearance you need, and reinstall your headliner.  Your mounting provisions should now be exposed for thier use. 

Your a beginner.....get the blue foam sheet at a home building supplier.  Use cardboard as a template and design a verticle shape of the console you acquire.  Cut the edge that butts up to the headliner so that it will form snug to the headliner.  Take this template, place it on the sheet of blue foam.  Draw the outline of this shape on the foam with a marker and cut it out with a utility knife.  Measure the width you want this console to be, and reproduce this shape by cutting more duplicates of this shape of foam until you have them stacked vertically the correct width you want.  Glue these together.  Sand the cut edges down so all sections are flush with each other.  Make cut outs you may want so you later you could install the radar detector, do this also for pockets or other things. *You may want to wait, Ill explain in a bit*  Use foil to cover this console tightly (uh, polyester resin will melt this foam) and tape secure.  Now, lets do this in 2 sections.  First: FiberGlass the top (headliner mounting side) with 2 or 3 layers, use FG weave for this.  After that cures, remove from the foam.  Second: Flip it over so that the "Foam" console is upside down.  FG all of the other sides.  When cured, remove the foam (if the foam is not removable you can use solvents to disolve the foam, you dont need it anymore.  Cut holes in the "Top" part where the mounts will be and test fit this part.  Make it fit however you need.  Take the part of the console that will be visible and use body filler to finish out as desired.  This is the time where you can cut for storage holes, ect as well as fiberglassing these 2 parts together.  Make a hole big enough so that fastening the complete console is easy enough, it can be refilled with bodyfiller.  Finish out with fabric or paint or whatever.  I hope you can use this to grow your mind.  Ask if you need more ideas or clarity in my rough descriptions above.  Trust me, I left out plenty detail.  You can make ANYTHING you want and any shape with this method.  I constructed an overhead console adjoining midsection down to the custom floor console this way with all kinds of electronic gadgets wedged in it....think about it...and get wild!

Sorry, gotta end it here, cold and flu medication taking over my brain......peace!!!!!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic