icon

Fuse Distribution Blocks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2006 at 3:11 AM / IP Logged  

Is a fuse distribution blocks the same thing as a fuse and distribution block put together? I was looking to get this one from stinger:

www.cardomain.com/item/STISHDA4

I fully understand what a fuse is and what its purpose is, but I'm a little confused on the disribution block part. (some further explanation on this would be helpful) I plan on running three amplifiers and a battery for my system. (the battery is a seperate one not starting the vehicle) The amps are 1200, 300, and 200 watt, and the extra battery in the back will be running all the way up to the alternator, so the wires off the battery are gonna need to be 1/0 guage. Will this fuse distribution block from Stinger work with my setup? And could someone further explain this distribution block stuff?

darthness 
Copper - Posts: 136
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2006 at 6:22 AM / IP Logged  
a distrobution block in most cases takes a larger power/ground wire and allows you to run multiple smaller ones.
ie i have a block that has 4 gauge inputs and 8 gauge outputs.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 23, 2006 at 7:37 AM / IP Logged  

If you have a battery in the trunk near the amplifiers, you can avoid using the distro block altogether by running separate fused power wires to the individual amplifiers.  This will all depend on the overall look you want to have, i.e., do you particularly want the LEDs that this distro block provides and do you want to add it because it's pretty?  On the contrary, in cases where there is no second battery in the area where the amplifiers are installed, a distribution block can be installed as a clean and tidy way to attach multiple amplifiers to one main fused power wire.

But yes, that distro block would work with your setup.

Why use a fused distro block?  The amplifiers already have their own fuses.

A good reference for the answer to this is BCAE1.com, FUSES.  It says "Any time that the wire size is reduced, you must add a fuse in the line (at the point of distibution) to protect the smaller wire."  The wires are fused to protect over-current conditions per their individual gauge, just as the main power wire is fused.  So, could you just install separate fuse holders on these smaller wires that branch out to the individual amplifiers?  Sure you could.  But the fused distro block provides two benefits over that method:  makes a neater install and puts the fuse AT the point of distribution instead of CLOSE TO the point.

Depending on the overall look you want to achieve with this install, you can cut costs by eliminating the bling factor that this distro block provides for the $105 price.  Three individual power wires connected directly to the second battery would require just three simple fuse holders (like these), or a simpler unfused distro block could be used along with those fuse holders so that there is only one wire connected to the battery.  And the price of this type of fuse is lower as well.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
willdkartunes 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  

Not only do I thank Stevdart for his response, but thank you for giving me a reference to an awesome website! That bcae1 is awesome. I knew there had to be a website like that I just didn't know it....thanks! That would save me a lot of money just getting the simpler distrobution block with the cheaper fuses. The owners manual on those amps that I was talking about should tell me how much amps they draw right? Another thing that I was wondering was that diagram with the multiple amps on the link you showed me using a fused distrubution block or just a regular distribution block with fuses hooked up to the correct size wires? It looked to be a FUSED distribution block but I'm not positive.

willdkartunes 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  
The image I was mentioning is the third one from the top, and I'm almost certain that it is a fused distribution block. Isn't that better to use the fused distribution block over the regular distribution block with the fuses following, since it is better to have the fuse AT the point of distribution instead of AFTER? I would still probably get a cheaper one if the Stinger one that I mentioned above isn't necessary... I just thought it was pretty nice with the digital readouts that let you monitor the voltage/amps, as well as looking very nice. (the price on that thing is pretty nice too!) It also says that AGU fuses have limitations.... so what I got out of it was that the MAXI fuses would be a better decision to go with. Is that true or not entirely? I realize there is quite a bit of questions here that I have asked already, but I like to seek the *whole* truth before moving on. Fuse Distribution Blocks - Last Post -- posted image. I appreciate any information recieved.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 8:11 AM / IP Logged  

1.  You're welcome :)

2.  Yes, the third pic is of a fused distro.  You should be able to find a variety of pricing for one that will serve your system.

3.  The amplifiers fuse ratings are apparent;  just look at the amplifiers.  If your largest amp has fuses totalling 60 amps or less, then the cheaper AGU fuse would do fine.

4.  The limitations that were referenced for AGU fuses has to do with the value limit of amperage, not a limit in performance.

Keep the whole picture of what you want this system to look like in mind, like I said above.  And keep in mind what you want to spend on items like fuseholders that may be just working from a hidden location.  For example, I put 40-amp AGU fuses in all the 8 gauge wires in my car's system, just for the fact that AGU fuses come in packs of five.  And I'm using a $5 distro block and individual fuse holders because, in my system, these are just safety and convenience items and are not prominently displayed.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
willdkartunes 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  
All of these are going to be displayed in plain view with the setup I have going in my truck. Really nice setup I came up with.... I haven't seen anyone do anything like this. The only truck similar to this design was close, but they did a blow through the bed and I'm not doing that. With the AGU fuses that's what I was talking about was the amperage limitations.... I did some more research and found that I'm not going to need any fuse with some rediculous amperage rating since the highest I will probable use is 125 amp fuse for the main power wire coming from the battery. Does it matter on the type of fuse? The only thing that should matter is the correct amp rating on the fuse right?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic