icon

What Size Cap for 1099 Watts

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
altbs 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  

I have 1 Kicker 600.1 running two MTX 7500 SVC subs at two ohms and a Kicker 350.4 running 4 Infinity 5010cs components. The birth sheet for the 600.1 rates it at 710watts and the birth sheet rates the 350.4 at 398 watts. I bought a cheap 1 farad capacitor to see if it would do what I needed it to do which was basically regulate the input voltage for my sub amp so that it always sounds the same when I start the car and I have noticed a major difference in the preformance of my subs. Now that I am getting ready to upgrade my wiring and install the four channel I was wanting to upgrade the cap. So my question is will a 1 farad cap be enough or should I upgrade to a 1.5 or 2 farad?

youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
what size wiring is in there right now? what type of difference are you noticing in the subs, describe what is happening. and in my opinion i think you should trash the cap. do the big three if you don't already have it, also upgrade your wiring mabey get a new battery to. caps don't do anything but take up space.
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in
altbs 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
Right now I have a 4 gauge from the battery into a fused distro block then two 8 gauge coming out. The wiring is from a Schoshe kit I bought at walmart and I'm going to upgrade to a stinger 1/0 gauge kit. The reason I tried the cap is actually not for the normal reasons. I had a dimming problem but that was solved when I upgraded my amp plus I have a 60amp alt. and an very big Interstart Megatron so really I'm not worried about the power. The problem I was noticing was that sometimes I would start my car and my subs would dominate and pound hard, then I would get in another time and start it up and the subs didn't have near the output so I was constantly changing my system settings which got annoying real quick. So I got to thinking and put a voltage meter on the power wire and noticed that I seemed to be getting pretty sizeable fluctuations. I remeber from my brief time at ITT the basic principles of capacitance so I thought what the hell I bought a cheap cap from walmart and the cap basically charges to 14.9 volts and stays within a .6 volt rage and I have noticed that I no longer have to change my settings every time I get in the car. It sounds the same everytime I get in the car.
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
wondering how much longer that 60 Amp Alternator is going to hold out? Sounds like a larger alternator should be your next purchase. 60 Amp is Not alot of power considering the vehicle functions without the stereo must run off of it. Bet you are starving those amps! The alternator might be able to fully charge the battery sometimes and not enough other times.
What type of vehicle is all this in?
youngone 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
You should get bigger alt in order to correctly charge that battery and cap. The cap basically put a band-add on the problem. Your alt will start to give out hear shortly if you don't upgrade and bad stuff can happen if you draw to much power from your electrical system.
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
altbs 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
This is a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer with the 5.0 V8. I don't really think I have a charging problem actually even before I installed the cap I rarely had a dimming problem since installing the kicker amp the only time I ever had any noticible dimming was usually when I'm showing off and have the subs running pert near full bore and it's too loud for me to sit in the car anyway. I do thank you for the suggestions though and being a better safe than sorry kind of guy I'll have my mechanic check it out when I take it in for it's yearly check up. and May go ahead and upgrade it. What size would you suggest?
altbs 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
Also I just double checked and I made a mistake on my original post. I believe that I actually have a 95 amp alt. I may have been thinking of my wifes car I think it has a 60 amp, Sorry bout that.
youngone 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
Before i suggest eny alt size. Have you done the big three on your electrical system.
youngone 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
its all goodWhat Size Cap for 1099 Watts -- posted image. no problem. I was wondering how a v8 would have a 60 amp alt in it.
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2006 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
The bigger the better. 150A would be the min. From your earlier post you were saying the gains would be different from time to time. A guess would be the PS on the amp is unregulated and output power depends on input voltage and available current. Your sizeable voltage readings would confirm this.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic