icon

wiring mutilple speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
morgan144 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2006 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  

i want to wire 10 200w pyle mids together if i wire them in series the ohms load would be 24ohms would a 2000w at 4ohm amp handle these or would it heat up short out or is there a better way to design the system also the ten speakers is for each door for a total 40 speakers

thank you

rottenbelly 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2006 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
Use the calculator on the left side if this page. My ears are bleeding at the thougt of forty mids,,WOW we will call u mid bass mayhem from now own. i bet i can here that from my house! I would imagine a 2000 watt amp would be able to handle it ok if you get the ohms right. Is it going to be a four channel amp?
rottenbellys 05 crew cab colorado.Pioneer dehp 880prs, kenwood excelon in all 4 doors. Bazooka 500 mono Jl 10w3 in coustom center console box.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2006 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  
morgan144 wrote:
i want to wire 10 200w pyle mids together if i wire them in series the ohms load would be 24ohms would a 2000w at 4ohm amp handle these or would it heat up short out or is there a better way to design the system also the ten speakers is for each door for a total 40 speakers

thank you

First of all, I think you need to rethink your install plans.  Multiple drivers used like this can create a lot more problems than they solve and it'll likely sound like genuine crap.  If on the other hand you don't care how it sounds and you simply want to do something different that looks cool, sure go for it.  Please explain, however, how you plan to achieve a 24 ohm load using 40 speakers?  Or using 10 speakers, for that matter.  What is the ohm rating of each speaker?

FYI, an amplifier rated for 2000 watts into 4 ohms (is that a genuine rating or a peak rating?) will generate approximately 333 watts into 24 ohms.  Dropped across ten speakers in series, this results in 33.3 watts utilized by each speaker.  That might be about right for Pyle speakers, as their ratings are pretty sketchy.

Support the12volt.com
morgan144 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2006 at 7:45 AM / IP Logged  
the pyle mids are 200w at 4ohm
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2006 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  

morgan144 wrote:
the pyle mids are 200w at 4ohm

That sounds like a peak power handling rating.  What's the real ratings?  What's the model number and I'll try to look it up?

Back to your impedance issue.  If those are 4-ohm speakers, you cannot create a 24 ohm load with 10 of them and keep the power utilization balanced.  What was your plan?  And why is 24 ohms your target?  While we're at it, what amplifier do you plan to use that generates 2000 watts @ 4 ohms?

Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic