icon

Dim and pulsating interior lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Weskel 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2002 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  

I am restoring a 1979 chevy pickup and with all new dash light buls and interior dome lights they all are dim and yellowish, I have a new battery and new alternator and I have also changed the headlamp switch.  When the truck us running they pulsate slightly.

I would appreciate any info you could give me.

Thanks
Weskel
crroush 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2002 at 2:21 AM / IP Logged  
sounds like they are not getting enough power, so when the car is running there is to much current draw somewhere that is causing the lights to pulsate.   You might check your connections at the light, then any relays and such that are being supplied off the same bus to see if you can track down what the problem is.  Also you replacement stuff may have slightly different ratings than the orginal components in the car which may be leading to your problem.  Just some suggestions.   Let us all know!
brianh 
Silver - Posts: 516
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2002 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
Thats what I would say also.  The amp ratings for the new bulbs probably are more than what was in there before.  Sounds like the circuit is having a problem supplying the current for the demand of the new lights.  Try smaller wattage bulbs or you might have to beef up the wire size.  Good luck.  Brian
Dan M C 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2002 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
Dim and pulsating interior lights - Last Post -- posted image.Try upgrade the wires like thicker gauges,upgrade your grounds,etcDim and pulsating interior lights - Last Post -- posted image.
Dan M C
crroush 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2002 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  

yea like 1 00 gauge :) j/k

Craig

mcaulifm 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2003 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  
Check your voltage regulator also.  You can do that by putting a DMM on the battery and running the engine.  The charge voltage should be fairly consistent- not changing with engine rpms.  If the bulbs pulsate (guess that means that the bulbs go bright and dim cyclically), then the regulator could be causing that as well.
Mac

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic