icon

95 chevy truck 791xv mounting areas

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jeep450 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2006 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  
Hello all I am installing a 791 xv in my 95 x-cab chevy truck. Where would you guys recommend to install the alarm module and remote start module at? It has the new style 96-99 interior w/o keyless entry. There does not appear to be alot of places to mount it and still be able to use the remote start. Thanks in advance for your help and please give any other advice that you have. I do know I will have to use the DEI 451M for the door locks.
1998chevy1500 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2006 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  
Wow, you are in luck. I just finished installing a 791xv into my 98 Chevy. I don't have any pictures of it, but I'll do my best to explain where I mounted it up at.
With the upper dash "ring" off that you remove to take the radio out, look where the head light switch is. If you look between the steering wheel and the headlight switch there is a small flat spot under the gauges with a gap about 1" tall. Now that seems like a good spot, but I wanted mine more secqure so I mounded it under that flat spot. It is really tricky to get the brain into the spot espically with the wires connected. You have to slide it into the hole where the light switch is and then try and jockey it into the spot. It actually ends up fitting through a hole in the steel supports of the dash and sits up completely under there so that you can't even see it from the headlight hole. Its a lot easier to do if you have smaller hands. I also unbolted my fuse panel and pushed it out of the way so I could reach through there to help slide it into place. I drilled some holes in the plastic of the dash and ran some zip ties through the holes to secqure it.
As for the satilite relay box. Take off the knee bolster area below the steering wheel, you have to take out 4 screws and the parking brake cable. Then it should just pull off. Don't forget to unhook the crotch vent from the panel. With that off there is a big black steel plate held on with 4 10mm headed bolts. Take that out and also the smaller plate that has the crotch vent running through it, its held on with 2 7mm bolts. With those out of the way you can now see a big black bundle running up the steering collum. Pull of the black cover(its a giant piece of electrical tape) and you can see all the ignition connections you need to make. Looking at the two black attachment points for the piece that the crotch vent went through they are held on with 2 10mm headed bolts. What I did is remove the drivers side one and drill 2 holes in it so that I could zip tie the relay to the plate. I mounted mine to the back side of the plate so that when it is installed all you could see from the steering collum side was the wires.
While these are a really secqure spot to mount the parts at it certinally does make it an absolute pain to install the parts with the wires connected to them. It took me a good 1/2 hr just to get the zip ties to feed right to secqure the brain into place because I couldn't twist my fingers into the right postion to guide the ties. And that was after wrestleing the brain into place with all the wires attached.
Don't forget to remove all the fuses until you are completly done with the install so that you don't mess anything up. On my brain I put some colored zip ties to either side of the fuse holders so that I could tell what one was the 15A and which one was the 10A because it is so tight up behind there.
I'll try and get some pictures and PM them to you. Also here is a post I made from another forum that covers a little bit of the install as well. http://www.offroad-tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2482
If you have any questions at all ask away while most of the install is still fresh in my head.
Conrad

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic