icon

2002 Toyota RAV4, Transponder?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dj hellfire 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2006 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
I just bought my mother-in-law a remote starter, the same one I just intalled in my car last week, DEI Valet 562T.  I cannot seem to find any credible sources online that can tell me for sure whether her 2002 Toyota RAV4 4WD has a transponder system or not.  I don't really trust design-tech.com because they had my Elantra listed as having a transponder and needing a bypass module, which is completely false.  The dealer was no help.  RAV4 forums are no help.  Any of you BB, CC, or local shop installers have any idea?
mad550 
Copper - Posts: 201
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2006 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
I don't know about your RAV 4's but here in Australia they don't.
WOW Sight and Sound
Maroochydore
Nothing is impossible!
Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2006 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
Some do and some don't. Check to see if there is a security light in the instrument cluster that illuminates when you first turn the key to the ignition position. If you remove the plasticc shroud around the steering column and there is a black plastic ring and small module surrounding the end of the ignition key cylinder, then yes there is a transponder immobilizer in the vehicle.
sparky
Hornshockey 
Silver - Posts: 520
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2006 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
you could also just have a metal key blank cut at home depot or a similar place. If the plain key starts the car and it runs, there ya go! no transponder. Cheap, easy way to verify.
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while; you could miss it.
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2006 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  
I believe it is possible, but very rare for that vehicle to have one. I think the top model has it...possibly with a V6 engine if that was even an option.
Go to google and do an image search for "Toyota transponder key" and you will se what the transponder keys look like.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 27, 2006 at 6:16 AM / IP Logged  
I don't believe it has a transponder key---that body style of RAV4 didn't seem to be equipped with ANY type of security, for that matter.
I've done a lot of work for Toyota dealerships-----I've never seen a single RAV4 with a transonder key. Keyless entry is a VERY uncommon $250 option.
I believe I have seen a couple of them with the dealer-installed Toyota VIP alarm system, but that's it.
I'm not sure why some of those tech sheets falsely list transponders in so many cars. Maybe Canadian models have that feature, and they don't go to the trouble to distinguish U.S. cars from Canadian ones?
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2006 at 8:17 AM / IP Logged  
Hornshockey wrote:
you could also just have a metal key blank cut at home depot or a similar place. If the plain key starts the car and it runs, there ya go! no transponder. Cheap, easy way to verify.
Go with this suggestion.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.2002 Toyota RAV4, Transponder? -- posted image.
dj hellfire 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2006 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  

Hornshockey wrote:

That is exactly what my next step was going to be, but I figured I'd ask before I try that.

JWorm wrote:
I believe it is possible, but very rare for that vehicle to have one. I think the top model has it...possibly with a V6 engine if that was even an option.
Go to google and do an image search for "Toyota transponder key" and you will se what the transponder keys look like.

Yeah, no V6 option for that year.  I also tried the google search thing and nothing reliable came up.

Chris Luongo wrote:
I don't believe it has a transponder key---that body style of RAV4 didn't seem to be equipped with ANY type of security, for that matter.
I've done a lot of work for Toyota dealerships-----I've never seen a single RAV4 with a transonder key. Keyless entry is a VERY uncommon $250 option.

Well, the 2004 model, which is the same body style as the 2002, does have the transponder.  That's why I wasn't sure if it was possible for the 2002's to have one too.  Circuit City's website also says the 2002 has a transponder.

Anyway, I took a bunch of pics so you guys can see for sure and let me know if this is a transponder module.  It looks like it, but I am not sure.

[IMG]https://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b166/djhellfire/DSCN1765.jpg[/IMG]

2002 Toyota RAV4, Transponder? -- posted image.

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 27, 2006 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  
nope, doesnt appear to......
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
JWorm