icon

Mondeo estate audio upgrade

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
climbin_chris 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2006 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  

Hi - Would appreciate some help. I am looking to upgrade the sound system in a mondeo estate 16v glx- 1995 (sorry as you have probably guessed I have a limited knowledge.) It would be great for some one to give me some tips on where to start on installing and amp, sub, speakers, head unit and at some stage an LCD screen. It would be great if you could also give tips on how to keep the wiring tidy and hid it when running the sub through to the boot. Also I would appreciate any advice on removing the old components and fitting better speakers in the doors. Cheers (sorry to ask such a wide variety of problems, but I need to learn some where) any other resources you no would also be appreciated.

Also if you could highlight any problems I may come across that would also be great

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 01, 2006 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
Start out with a head unit and speakers.  Once you find the deck that you want, get the wiring harness for your vehicle.  This will make installation a breeze.  Read up on tutorials on www.crutchfield.com, and also www.bcae1.com.  Pick up a decent repair manual for your car that shows you how to take it apart.  Keep your wires hidden by running them under the carpet and behind trim pieces.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
climbin_chris 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2006 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  

Ok cheers for that. Do most speakers need to be run through an amp for the best sound and to save money is it easier to get an amp suitable for a sub as well as speakers. What sort of rms will I need to be looking for to power 4 speakers and one sub maybe two in the future? Sorry one other question- I have noticed many head units come with some sort of self amp built in- will this affect any other further amp installation. Thanks Chris

hardknocks 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2006 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
it is always best to get an amp that is suitable for subs and one for ur speakers (highs). u don't want to get an amp that over powers ur subs or ur highs.
4-15" RF T2
6-7" RF Component sets
8 Planet Audio 900d
10 Batcap800
1 250 amp alt
1 300 amp alt
2" sound deadner roof,doors,floors
grantd 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2006 at 1:26 AM / IP Logged  
climbin_chris wrote:

Ok cheers for that. Do most speakers need to be run through an amp for the best sound and to save money is it easier to get an amp suitable for a sub as well as speakers. What sort of rms will I need to be looking for to power 4 speakers and one sub maybe two in the future? Sorry one other question- I have noticed many head units come with some sort of self amp built in- will this affect any other further amp installation. Thanks Chris

It depends on the speakers and the head unit, read some of the specs. I've never amped my speakers, I've always been able to just run it off of the head unit. I'm currently running/ have run 2 4" infinity kappas and a pair of 4 way pioneer 6X9's all off the head unit and it was plenty loud in a foxbody mustang. thats off of a pioneer deh-p6400 a standard 45X4 watt output. And that keeps up with my single 12" mbquart sub with about 500-600 watts going to it.
I'd say start with just the head unit and speakers. If you want to add an amp later for your speakers it wont cost you anymore than it would to do it all at once you just have to rewire it. Make sure that your headunit has plenty of rca preouts 3 pairs is ideal. (front, back, sub) that will allow you to add those amps later if you like but in the meantime use the internal amp on the cd player. it will have no effect on the sound quality of the amped system if you go that route later. The vast majority have internal amps.
Use different amps for subs and speakers. Sub amp size depends on the sub/s you're running. It's probably going to be cheaper to do all the stuff for the subs at one time. Otherwise you'll have to replace the enclosure later, and depending on the size of the amp maybe that too. Do your homework, price it out before hand and if necessary put the subs in later. or whichever order you choose to go in.
Hope this answers your questions
climbin_chris 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2006 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  

OK. Cheers for your advice, one other question so I can sort out the order I will install everything. If I install a new head unit with the wiring harness will it be possible to keep the original speakers for the time being? Thanks Chris, Also anything eles is there should look out for on a head unit?

gbear14275 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2006 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  

geepherder wrote:
Pick up a decent repair manual for your car that shows you how to take it apart.  Keep your wires hidden by running them under the carpet and behind trim pieces.

This is probably the best investment in your car you can make, but one thing to look out for...Many mauals won't show you how to remove interior trim pieces, make sure you get a good manual.  The on I got for my car is outstanding (bentley brand manual for the E36) and I wouldn't ever think about having my car without it.

For an accurate suggestion from us there are a couple questions we should ask you first:

1.  What is your budget? (many people will be intimidated by this question from a slaesperson but audio equipment adds up alot faster than people realize and if we tell you to do things that you wont have enough money for it wont do you any good)

2.  What are you looking to do with your car audio/video?  (Do you want loud music or a more complete sound? Are you looking to install navigation, video, or DVD capabilities? Would the video be for you in the front or kids in the back?  Are you looking for functional or flashy?)

3.  Do you have anyone to help you with installation or problems if you get stuck? (or...how mechanically inclined are you?  Can you build a "some assembly required" stereo shelf or wire up your home theatre system?)

4.  How long are you planning on having this system and will it change cars when you do?  (My personal philosophy is to buy the quality once rather than spend money on crap multiple times.  I have found that this tends to save me money in the long run, but other people spend money and buy things in different ways.)

Get back to us on these questions and we should be able to tell you exactly where to look or where to go.

climbin_chris 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2006 at 6:18 AM / IP Logged  

Hi Cheers for your post. I also agree with your philosophy -to buy the quality once rather than spend money on crap multiple times.  I have tried to answer most of the questions below

1.  What is your budget? (Many people will be intimidated by this question from a salesperson but audio equipment adds up alot faster than people realize and if we tell you to do things that you won’t have enough money for it won’t do you any good -   The budget is a tricky one. I am aware of the costs and want to get a decent sound system how ever I do not want to blow all my money on it. It would be great if I could get a good system for under £500 preferably lower- I realise this might be pushing it but I am not looking for state of the art here! I may have to leave the DVD system for a later date and focus on the audio to lower the prices a bit.

2.  What are you looking to do with your car audio/video?  (Do you want loud music or a more complete sound? Are you looking to install navigation, video, or DVD capabilities? Would the video be for you in the front or kids in the back?  Are you looking for functional or flashy?)- I would like a system which isn’t just a complete noise machine but nothing wimpy, clarity is what I am looking for how ever I realise this might involve another couple of zeros on the end! I defiantly want the system to be functional before flashy however looks are a plus. For the video I would of liked two screens in the back but I think this could maybe be an addition later on I was advised to look for a head unit with 3 rca preouts I am yet to find a DVD head unit to match any suggestions? (I was maybe thinking of getting a head unit cable of DVD playing and then sort out the LCD’s at a later date.)

3.  Do you have anyone to help you with installation or problems if you get stuck? (Or...how mechanically inclined are you?  Can you build a "some assembly required" stereo shelf or wire up your home theatre system?)- At the moment I do not have help for installation problems however I am sure I could find some- I am also quite handy at following instructions along with using a bit of initiative, I am not completely useless how ever car electrics are new to me.

4. How long are you planning on having this system and will it change cars when you do? - I am looking for this system to last as long as the car does and I would most defiantly like to be able to transfer as many of the components as possible to another car

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic