icon

Boston S60's or JL TR650-CSI's?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jeosnh 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2006 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
I'm looking to upgrade the front door speakers in my '98 Tahoe (factory component) and doing it cheap but as quality as possible. I have used Boston's before (not the s60) and was extremely pleased. On the other hand I haven't had any experience with JL but have heard a lot of good about them. Anybody have any opinions/suggestions on these? BTW I'm planning on using a Rockford 201S to power them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2006 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  

Well, I am going to suggest you have a listen to them (if possible). Those are both reputable companies that offer good products.

I bet the tweeters will be the noticeable difference. 

jeosnh 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2006 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
Does anyone know if both of these have "soft dome" tweeters? I can't stand the piercing "metal dome" tweeters. Also the boston's have crossovers and the jl's don't, right? Will this make a big difference? BTW, none of the stores around here carry Boston's and I haven't seen any TR's hooked up or on display or even for sale at any of the stores around here, so I'm hoping I can get some feedback from here and then find them online for cheap! Any help there would be appreciated as well. Thanx in advance!!
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2006 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
Don't know much about the Bostons but here's some ideas on the JLs. Every multiple driver speaker system needs a crossover,I think what you are referring to is the JL's not having an outboard version. The TR has a cap on the tweeter for a hi pass and the woofer does what is called "natural roll off" meaning it stops producing highs because of driver design. The tweeter is a cloth 1/2" dome. I've found them to be very good sounding for the money. They are also very efficiant, I've run them with HU power. I've always thought Bostons were on the bright side, if this is true about the ones you are looking at, I think the JLs would be a little more nuetral on the highs and sound a little smoother.
There is no such thing as free installation!
jeosnh 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2006 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  
Thankx!!! Anyone else?
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2006 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
I have always had good luck with Boston gear and have always liked the sound of it. They are also a soft dome tweeter. I never found them to be to bright but now we are getting into personal opinion as opposed to facts. I have always liked the idea of a real outboard crossover as opposed to the cap on the tweeter and letting the driver roll off. I know that they are designed that way but I just dont think they blend as well.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
jvillefinest 
Copper - Posts: 255
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2006 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  
Having to sell both products i would suggest the boston. From the bostons entry line S and SX there isnt much better in those price ranges (retail) and the TR as said above does not have a crossover and the S60S does have one, very small but it does have one. So i would have to go with the bostons. Boston pretty much has JL beat in mids in highs as far as bang for your buck up till the ZR series JL.
2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic