the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Static shock problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 28, 2006 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  

I'll bet KIT had a grounding plate on the steering- umm- wheel.  KIT had everything.

Okay, here's the results of my google search:  looking for how to stop static shock in the car?  We find that the right humidity will do the trick.  And now... automotive humidifier.  And you can have that gift-wrapped for your girlfriend, tcss!

(...if she keeps a bottle of Evian on hand she'll never have to worry about it running out of water.)

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2006 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
Nice!
There is no such thing as free installation!
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 28, 2006 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  

My car could use one of those too.  BTW, it's interesting to note that people who drive naked don't get shocked when they get out of the car.

But the people standing outside the car at the time do.   Static shock problem - Page 2 -- posted image.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
electrostatic 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2006 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
just make sure you use body lotion to eliminate dryness :)preferably without silicone.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 01, 2006 at 4:24 AM / IP Logged  
Hmmm, looks like my weather theory is out around here as Seattle is anything but dry this time of year. Static shock problem - Page 2 -- posted image.
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2006 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  

I used to have this problem in a previous vehicle that I had a shop install a system in. After I got it back from them, I would get shocked every time I got out of the vehicle. It seemed like certain times of the year it was worse than others. So does weather have anything to do with it? Eh, who knows for sure. Probably.

However, since I did my own install in my current vehicle, I have not had that problem whatsoever. It's been in since August of 2005, so I'll have to wait and see if it starts shocking me come summer.

My guess was (and still is) that the grounding of the system needs to be done right, or else you get shocked. I know it's probably the wrong idea, but without testing it, it's all I have to go by. Shop did install - static shock. Paradigm did his own install - no shock. Again, I'll wait to see what happens come summer, but I'm hoping the shock doesn't occur.

As to a fix, you could use a grounding strap, which if you do a search in these forums, you'll find some info on them. I've never tried it myself, because, at this point in time, I have had no need to use one. But I did do some research on them, so I'd say they would at least be worth a try.

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2006 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
on a more serious note: be SURE to discharge any static electricity BEFORE you pump gas!!!
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2006 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
Hmmmm, wonder if I should tell the girlfriend THAT!
There is no such thing as free installation!
electrostatic 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2006 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
humidity plays a factor in charge buildup. you'll notice during dry air winter months if you live in those regions you get shocked more frequently. in the summer the air is very humid on the east coast and static is less of a problem. the more moist the air the  more conductive it is, and the more charges bleed off and esd voltages are lower. you dont feel esd until the voltage is around 4000 volts. esd affects people differently, the more conductive your skin is,  less charging  will occur, and the opposite is true, if your skin has a higher resitivity more charging will occur. i work in a static controlled environment and during the winter humidity is kept at 30%. i would prefer it higher more around 40%, but then again i dont pay the bills. during the summer rarely do i have a problem with esd because humidity is much higher in the facility.  since i started wearing static-dissipative shoe covers in conjuction with the static-dissipative floors in the facility i've noticed a huge reduction in esd for me personaly.  so yes humidity plays a part.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 01, 2006 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  

Wow, this thread has taken like wildfire.  Just tell your girlfriend to keep her hand in contact with the door the whole time she is getting out.  This will prevent her from getting shocked.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic