icon

Engine stalling on 96 Corolla

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ncole1 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2002 at 6:48 AM / IP Logged  
I was installing a remote start, looking for the tach wire around the distributor and shorted something in one of the four wires.  Since then the car has been stalling at idle.  If you rev the car a little it will keep running and it will even drive perfectly normal.  Just if you let go of the gas when coming to a stop it will die.  This problem occurred right after the short happened in the wire I was probing, so I think I may have fried something.  The check engine light is on now and I'm going to get a diagnostic reader on it tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this before while installing or if it sounds familiar.  I detached the battery already and tried to reset the computer and I also made sure that all the plugs and things were all plugged back in correctly.
Icbm 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2003 at 12:30 AM / IP Logged  
I have exactly the same problem. But I did nothing to the engine, I just drive my 99 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS everyday, I don't put in nothing, I don't take out nothing. Then one day when I start the engine, it gives up. It's only got 50,000 miles.  When I opened up the hatch, I found some greeny stuff on the battery cable, could this be to the problem? I can't get rid of this greeny stuff, maybe I'll need a new cable. Everything else runs fine though, the stereo works, and fans and A/C works too. Now the check engine light is up, I'd better take it to somewhere to fix it. Weird.
gmc4x4 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2003 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  

provided you didnt kill anything in the distributor, I would check your coil wire and spark plug wires..Some times digging around under the hood, you might have knocked something loose....just a guess, but tonight on my way home, my truck was rough at idle and kinda smoothed out after applying the gas..I suspected the plug wires, after popping the hood I could hear one of them arching to the exhaust manifold (tick, tick ever few seconds) it was dark out side, so i shut off the hood light, and sure enough, you could see the arch from the spark plug boot. So I wrapped it with tape for now, until I replace the boot.

....And sometime what we are working on, and what breaks are totally non-related...I was installing a remote start, I still had the dash torn apart and was programming the alarm,I went to start it, and  the darn truck would not start (key or remote), it would just keep cranking and not turn over......Turns out the fuel pump had gone out. (4 hour after replacing the fuel pump) I got to finish the alarm install..

just my .02  at 2AM hope it helps...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic