icon

system design?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2006 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  
I feel exactly what your saying. I'm first getting to do my project on my truck now, and I've been waiting since I was 12 years old. A pretty serious project much like yours and it's finally coming together. I'm going for SPL though, not SQ. My first speakers were RF Punch XLC too. Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with the Avalanche. That's made by Chevy right? Maybe I'm confused, buy when I picture your setup it sounds like you did a blow through the bed. Is that right or am I way off?
geauxtigers 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2006 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  

willdkartunes wrote:
I feel exactly what your saying. I'm first getting to do my project on my truck now, and I've been waiting since I was 12 years old. A pretty serious project much like yours and it's finally coming together. I'm going for SPL though, not SQ. My first speakers were RF Punch XLC too. Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with the Avalanche. That's made by Chevy right? Maybe I'm confused, buy when I picture your setup it sounds like you did a blow through the bed. Is that right or am I way off?

The Avalanche is considered a full size SUV. The rear of the truck (the bed I guess you could call it) is accessible from the front. From the factory it comes with something called a mid-gate. The rear window comes out and is stored, the rear seats are lowered and then you can lower the gate. This would allow you to have more cargo room. The entire rear of the vehicle is enclosed in three removable sections. I love the damn thing. The rear is lockable and completely water tight. Mine has never leaked. It's built on a Suburban chasis. Great ride quality.

Anyway...I bought mine new and took it right to the shop to have some work done. First I installed an eight inch Kicker W7 with a small Memphis Belle on it and the Memphis seperates. I wasn't happy and went back to see what else I could do. They advised me to remove the mid-gate and let them build a custom one that doubles as the front of the sub enclosure. I did this, and installed one Kicker L5 12". This has kept me somewhat happy for the last year, but now it's time to go all out.

The woofers are attached to the front of the mid-gate. They look like they are installed in a really large enclosure. Actually, the enclosure is no larger than spec. The front is cut to replace the mid-gate. For the JL W7's that are going in, a new mid-gate will be built with the two eclosures behind it. The mid-gate is the front of the enclosures. It is somewhat like a factory made cab through.

Trust me, it looks really nice and clean. I highly recommend the Avalanche to anyone wanting room for some large speakers. You can easily fit  up to 4 12's. Having a completely enclosed rear is really nice for mounting amps and allowing perfect enclosures to be built.

willdkartunes 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2006 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  

That does sound like a sweet ride! I got to see this system your doing cuz it sounds like it's gonna be real nice. I love JL Audio too, even though they are very pricey. They make some great products. The w7 series woofer and their amplifiers are a fine example.

I'm sort of going in a different direction than you with the vehicle setup. Huge systems are really nice and big vehicles are convenient for lots of speakers. I have been getting more into seeing how much can fit into a small area. The smaller the area, the better. Think of it like this.... would you rather be sitting in a concert hall listening to ten 13w7's, or listening to ten of them in a small bedroom? I think you get the idea... (talk about being deaf!)

By the way, you might wanna think about turning the bass down a little, otherwise the only thing a judge is going to hear is those 13w7's!!lol.

willdkartunes 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2006 at 1:59 AM / IP Logged  
I agree the two 10 setup would work nice for SQ, but it wouldn't fulfill the need to hit 150db like he stated earlier. With two 10's, 150db would be pretty difficult to accomplish....
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic