icon

Fiberglassing Trunk Lid

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
carguy411 
Silver - Posts: 683
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2006 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  
im doinga whole custom system in a 2000 BMW 3 Series.
i want to fiberglass the cover of the trunk lid. and take out the tool kit thats there. considering its platic covered in trunk cloth can i just lay some resin on that and then another coat of maybe speaker mesh and then resin that ,fill dand and srpay that the color of the car?is it that easy?
also for the first coat of resin should i leave it on the car so it doesnt warp?? and the next layer and filling it can be taken off.
if someone has done this or has pics of it that would be a big help
thanks
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2006 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  

I think you need to explain a little more what your doing. Right now it sound like your just making a mold of the trunk lid and painting it.

Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
carguy411 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2006 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  
i dnot wantto make a mold of it
there is a cappeted pice that covers the inside part of the trunk on the bmw
i want to take that soak it in resin add some fiberglass or speaker mesh and fill with bondo and paint to match the car.im just going to use the existing piece can i do that ?
HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2006 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like you just want to turn carpet into something smooth and paint it the same color as the car? I believe all youd need to do is just resin it, add body filler, sand, prime, & paint. I dont think theres a need for speaker mesh to do that. Does this help?
Im a fiberglass whore!!
carguy411 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2006 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
yeah thats what i want to do. i was gonna use mesh to smooth it out more and fill in some hole hthat i dont want. but esentially thats what i want. what type of filler and sanding steps should i take
also put the resin on while its still in the car so it doenst warp right??
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2006 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  

i would strongly suggest adding a layer of either biaxail weave fiberglass cloth or some similiar thin fiberglass cloth to it before filler and primer...the carpeted piece will crack badly over time...adding a thin layer of fiberglass mat or cloth will stop this from happening...hopefully the carpeted piece is not glued down..cause the resin will most likely eat the glue and separate from the plastic..

the easiest thing would be to strip the carpet off..clean the glue off. and then sand and prime the plastic and paint from there..there is also ABS fillers and stuff you can buy at hardware stores that will help you smooth out the surface...high build etching primer for plastics and fiberglass will be a must for this project..

Fiberglass Guru.
carguy411 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2006 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
im not to sure if there is plastic behind it i really dont remember to well i have to look but it feels stiff like theere
is
you know those panels on the BMW's.
ill add a layer of fiberglass mat cause there are some voids that are going to be there that i dont want on the final product.
but am i right about doing the first layer on the car so it doesnt warp???
any other tips trick or maybe a site that has pics step by step on how to do what i want
thanks
naptothed 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2006 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  

why waste a perfectly good floor/carpet? trace it onto mdf or plywood or masonite and paint it. I think if you do what you want you'll end up with a ruined car BMW carpet and a funky new floor.  mdf would save you hours of sanding and it'll take paint mighty fine.

- trig

carguy411 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2006 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  
i cant csue its not just a single flat piece its molded on the trunk lid
thats y i wanted to use the factory one to make it look like it was made for it
ya know
that oem look
naptothed 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2006 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  

a picture says a thousand words.  take a pic bro and i'm sure someone will have an answer for you.  I kinda get what your saying but it seems like your leaning more towards ruining the thing then making it better.  If I understand you right, then i'd say protect the exsisting cover with painters tape and foil and make a copy.  Then use those holes that you want to cover up, to hold the new one in place.  Trust me it'll make it much easier to sell the car later on this way too.

- trig

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic