icon

Fiberglassing Trunk Lid

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2006 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  

you should use chop strand mat...1.5 oz will be fine, that is the widely available at any parts store even wal mart...whatever you do dont cut the mat...you have to tear it appart...if you cut it you will get nasty seems that are a pain in a** to sand out...tearing it will leave it very frayed on the edges, which will let the piecees blend together better...as for filling the dips...dont use body filler, i would cut out some cardboard that is the shape of the dip you want to fill, and then lay the fiberglass over all of itbasically prefill the voids with cardboard before laying glass down....dont forget to tape and foil EVERYTHING...

using one full sheet will not provide as much strength as pieces...if you wish to use one full sheet i would use cloth, since it will provide a considerable smoother surface to try to finish..

and yes working out of the car ith this piece will not nly be easier it will be fine...i would spread a thin layer of duraglass over it before removing it from the panel though..and allow it to dry for several hours before breaking it all appart...atleast 8 hours after you check it for stickiness...basically once it is no long sticky to the touch adda 8 hours..and then you should be good...

Fiberglass Guru.
crazyoldcougar 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2006 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
rage rold is considerably better and easier to work with then bondo brand...
Fiberglass Guru.
carguy411 
Silver - Posts: 683
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2006 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
ok thanks alot
they didnt have rage gold so i bought the kitty hair instead
and filling the voids first thats what i was goona do i thought of it today when i looked at the piece
i both the mat at the marine supply store so instead of lying that whole piece down just rip it up and glass it that way...
how manny layers you think would i need i was goona go for about 2 or 3
thanks again
crazyoldcougar 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2006 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  

thickness/ strength are not directly related as you may think..first there are different weights of chop mat you can buy from 1.5 oz/ sq ft upto 3 oz/sq ft those willdefinately provide different strengths to the piece...also the amount of resin used will also factor in...you can make a piece 1/4" thick butif you only have one or 2 layers of 1.5 oz mat in there it will be weak as heck..

So provided you have have bought 1.5 oz mat and squeeze out all the unnecessary resin with a roller and build it about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch thick you will be fine...if your just building a copy of it with no intended use other then show 3 layers will be fine.(approx 1/8" with 1.5 oz mat)...if you plan on having it somewhat useable for speakers and or monitors you may want to thumb test for weak spots....

and you will need some sort of light filler for this project...though rage gold is pretty much the best...there are other generic brands of light weight body fillers that are just as easy to sand...for the most part they all include gold in the name some haw...like duragold for instance.."Bondo" even has a gold grade filler out now too..i haven used it though..

Fiberglass Guru.
crazyoldcougar 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2006 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  

carguy411 wrote:
ok thanks alot
they didnt have rage gold so i bought the kitty hair instead

just so you know these are completely different products...kitty hair is a structural filler that is incredibly hard to finish...Rage gold is quote unquote bondo...or a really light and easy to sand filler, effectively used to fill heavy scratches and small voids.

EverCoat now has a 2 part finishing putty that should work well for filling pinholes in, but i just use a high build etching primer to do that...(Proform 649) 

Fiberglass Guru.
carguy411 
Silver - Posts: 683
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2006 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
ok thanks. so should i bring back the kittyhair and get just regular body filler? it will be easier to work with. also its just gona be fore show the only think im thiking of id trying to mold in a neon tube at the top but havent figured out how to do that yet
thanks
crazyoldcougar 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2006 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  

very wierd how some of my posts are being eiter deleted or lost...

anyway... the neon can be done a couple ways..one with a dowel or two with the actual tube..i would use the tube and wrap it in foil...tape it up first then foil it...mount it where you would like it to be on the trunk...when you take you mold of the trunk then you will have a bump in it right where you want the neon...simply glass and sand everything to perfection adn then with a router or dremel cut out the portion of the tube you would like to see..and your done.

i would kep and use the kitty hair and also pick up a cana of filler to use over top of it...the kitty hair will help the piece from warping, once you start working on it outside of the car..

Fiberglass Guru.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic