the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Autopage Tach/Voltage Sensing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2002 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  
Has anyone run into any problems with having a car not start and either not try starting again, or think the car is running so it leaves on the ignition and accessories? I installed an Autopage RS-750 LCD and an Autopage RS-650 (I think that is the model) anyway, both customers had questions like the problems above. On the RS-650, I did not hook up a tach signal because I wanted to test the reliability of the voltage sense mode since I heard it worked flawlessly. It tested fine for me, but when the customer brought it back to me to hook up drivers priority unlock, I noticed it tried to start once, then just acted like it thought the car was running and the blowers was on and the radio. I have never seen this. It seems to act the opposite of a poorly designed voltage sense model I used to install which would shut off the car after a successful start since it didn't see a voltage jump. I haven't been able to witness the error on the RS-760 LCD model since it has worked every time I have tested it, and he wasn't able to describe the problem well, but I hooked up the tach wire on this car. He said it was only when it was really really cold that whatever it was happened. It sounded like that one could be a passlock problem, but I have never had a problem with a passlock just when it was cold. ANyone had any trouble along these lines? These should try three times if it has unsuccessful starts right?
Thanks
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
gmc4x4 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2002 at 12:47 AM / IP Logged  

I just finished installing a 750LCD 3 days ago, interesting that you posted this question. Tonight when i started it, it started fine, then as we were walking up to it, it died..then started up again.  ??whats up with that. I was thinking about what your customer said about it being cold..it is somewhat cold tonite (vs. the other times i have remote started it) I have the system set on tach signal. Do you think its because its cold out, and the motor is revving higher at start, and the once it reaches temp, the RPM drops,,, would the drop in RPM throw off the alarm and make it shut down? just a thought..

I have an avital remote start on my other truck and have never had any problems like this.

jrilla 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2002 at 5:53 AM / IP Logged  
Actually the guy that I put the 750 LCD in for and I used the tach signal on, said he was inside his house and his friend was in his car, and it shut off and started back up again about three times, and when he told the guy what happened, he just assumed it was him leaning on the start and stop button while he was in the house. I heard that voltage sensing mode works the best so I am going to try this.
Ok so the guy just called me and he told me that just yesterday he hit the brake before turning the key to the on position, so he had to start it up with tthe key and it died out right away after starting so we both think he needs a tune up, since he is approaching 100,000 miles on the same plugs. I am still not 100% convinced of what is happening though. Wierd things going on though.
Here is another thought I had, I have other starters that I install that suggest letting the engine idle and turn on the heater and an any other accessories that will lower the idle speed, then learn the tach signal. I remember that I didn't do this for the 750 LCD I installed and perhaps that and the fact that it needs a tune up are causeing the unit to think the car shut off and so it tries to start it again.
GMC4x4, keep me posted on whats going on with you car.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
gmc4x4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2002 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  

OK, so I remote started it this morning, all went well. Got to the store, remote started it on my way out the door, remote signalled it started, walked out the door maybe 2 minutes later to hear it re-start itself again. So I jumped in, and it died again and restarted for the 3rd time.

I got home, and reset the tach learning with the heater on full. Will keep you posted if resetting does anything..

Hey J.Rilla- what is the difference between the tach/ voltage / and timer checking?? If it doesnt run any better after re-learning the tach, I am thinking of changing it to voltage or timer..(but dont know if one or the other is better, and which does what)

thanks

jrilla 
Posted: December 31, 2002 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  

Voltage monitors the the 12v+ wires that you tapped into before during, and after remote start and what it is looking for is when the alternator kicks in and boosts the voltage from around 12v DC to about 14v DC.  Timer as far as I know is just a set time that the starter will crank and will only try once and if it doesn't start then it doesn't start.  Actually I have never seen this option on any other emote starter I install, and I haven't actually tried this out yet, so I am only speculating as to how it works.  Tach monitors the tach signal on the wire you tapped and is looking for between 1v and 6v AC. 

What vehicle did you install this on, you may have a bad tach signal.  I am not sure that the problems I am having are related directly to the Autopage unit or the vehicle.  On the 98 Silverado that I hooked up the tach wire on, the guy needs a tune up so i will have to check if there are any other problems after the tune up.  It does do the same things you are describing, but it also shut off after he tried to start it with the key once, so I will wait and see.  I haven't got back to the other customer in a little while, but I may have accidentally programmed it into Timer start mode and that is why it thinks it is still running after one successful attempt.  i would try Voltage sense like you said you were going to try. I heard it works very well on these.  Kepp me updated, and i will kepp posting any results I have.  i will be installing the 750 LCD on my car this week, but I doubt I will run into any problems since thatr would be too convenient of a way to solve this mystery.

J Rilla
Owner/Installer
securinu 
Silver - Posts: 772
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2002 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
i install the marksman m-10 which is identical to the autopage, i only use the voltage sense now i have installed over 100 in the last 6 months and have had several probs with tach , the prob i have is it says it over revs and shuts off. the voltage mode works great on all models.
gmc4x4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2003 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  

The 750 is installed on a 97 yukon. Its starts and runs fine. ( i just put in plugs and wires a month or so ago)  I was thinking the same thing about the bad tach signal, and thats why I was asking about the voltage sensing. Will leave it on tach for now, unless something funky happens...

gmc4x4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2003 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  

Hey, I also had something else related this alarm(or just my install). I have the lock/unlock feature activated. So when the car is started it locks, when turned off it unlocks. Anyway, that feature only works when you KEY start the truck. If you R/S, the doors never lock again. Did I do something incorrect on the install? or is this normal for this alarm.

I have an Avital installed on my 92GMC Truck and the doors always lock/unlock regardless of KEY start vs. R/S

just curious...its not that big of a deal, just something i noticed.

jrilla 
Posted: January 02, 2003 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  
You need to make sure that you have the features programmed that you want to.  The Ignition controlled lock and unlock is only designed to work with the key.  You can program your RS to just lock before it remote starts, just after or both, or neither.  You dont want the ignition controlled locks to work when remote started, because if you ever shut off your car remotely, or it times out, then it would unlock your doors.  This is why you have two seperate programming features for this.  look in your install manual under Alarm Feature "II" Programming.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic