icon

Sub ideas for foxbody mustang

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
austincustoms 
Copper - Posts: 232
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  
If you can afford to lose your back seat, I would fiberglass the seat pan, and put two subs with your amp in between.  that's whaat I did in my Mazda RX7.  It looks pretty sweet.
grantd 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2006 at 12:50 AM / IP Logged  
I like having my back seat in there..thanks though. I could probably afford to lose as it's very rarely used pretty much only when in a pinch and going less than a couple miles. But I think cars look better with it in there.
Also i'm only running one sub.
Here is a pic of my interrior. I just don't think it'd look as nice and clean if that were gone.
Sub ideas for foxbody mustang - Page 2 -- posted image.
Has anyone ever seen this upholstery before? I've looked at many other foxbody mustangs and i've never seen it with that pattern and color.
Thanks for the ideas...keep 'em coming if you'd be so kind.
grantd 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2006 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
oh in the background you can see my current solution for a sub box...This is the 5th vehicle it's been in, and was originally designed for a friends adire audio shiva 12. The volume is close enough to sound pretty decent. It's just looks terrible and takes up a lot of space. also when centered and pushed up to the back seat there is only like a half inch of clearance from the back glass. I'm convinced one of these days i'm going to break my window.
crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2006 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  
take a look at the sticky in the top of this fiberglass section...you will see one for building a FB box...look at the design in there i would go with it...plus it gives you a pretty detailed walk through for it as well...
Fiberglass Guru.
1qwkfox 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2006 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
Hey man as former foxbody owner , I hate to break it to ya But if your wanting to keep the back seat , spare tire well .. and kinda keep your system out of the back window your not gonna have alot of luck ...
But if you put 2-10's or 12's back there in a ported box they will sound amazing !! With the right box/power/subs of course.. And the good thing about a ported box IF you ever need to get to your spare tire you can always take the box out and get to the tire ..
My First Fiberglass project was actually using the spare tire well for a box for a Pioneer IMPP 10" woofer .. The main reason I went fiber glass was because I used to goto the track alot and that save atleast 10-20lbs of a mdf box !
grantd 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2006 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
Yea I'm starting to agree with you that there aren't a whole lot of options for installs with that criteria. I've kind of given up on the out of sight thing. The only thing I was able to come up with that was somewhat out of sight would be to build toward the passenger's side of the spare wheel well and have it either side or frong firing.
The other idea i had pretty much from the beginning was to build it rear facing and build it up to the plastic and about as high as the back seat then just make an mdf base with a fiberglass top. I'll probably end up doing that. we'll see if i/you can come up with anything else.
Thanks for the input so far.
grantd 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 1:23 AM / IP Logged  
I spent some quality time with my calculator and mspaint and came up with a couple illustrations of the side firing design I mentioned in my last post.
Sub ideas for foxbody mustang - Page 2 -- posted image.[/IMG]
I'm looking strongly at using that "footprint" of the box. The top/sides I'll most likely do with fiberglass and do some nice contours in there, althoughy the boxey picture there is still a possibility. Would compliment the boxy foxbody fairly well. Sub ideas for foxbody mustang - Page 2 -- posted image.
These drawings should give just about the right volume for the sub I'm using. I'm shooting for 2 cubic feet+ the driver. So I figure about 2.5. When I calculated everything I got somthing like 2.8 which will be good for fine tuning later.
Any idea's here?
Also if I mold off of the plastic panels is it going to rattle pretty badly when installed or should it fit tight enough to avoid it? Maybe some cloth or dynamat between the two?
grantd 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged  
grantd 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 1:27 AM / IP Logged  
Hopefully the 3rd time is a charm
grantd 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 1:38 AM / IP Logged  
In other news I'm in a manufacturing class called polymer and composite processes, one of the processes he showed was fiberglassing. I'm going to approach him on tuesday and see if I can use this enclosure as my semester project, and maybe I can even do it with the school's materials Sub ideas for foxbody mustang - Page 2 -- posted image.
I'll fill you guys in on how it goes. I don't know if I want my first shot at fiberglassing graded though. I'm doing really well in that class so far so maybe my grade can take it.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic