icon

Keyless entry problems, 2002 Dakota

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 11, 2006 at 7:44 AM / IP Logged  
I second what Velocity motors says. If the relay is bad, NONE of the doors would work. The fact that some do and some don't, means it's not the relay(s).
That sounds like an Audiovox product you have. The APS- prefix means it's part of their Prestige brand.
Anyway, since some of the actuators are working, we can assume the following: The alarm is good, the relays are good, and the relays are wired properly.
You've either got a break in the wiring going to the passenger side of the car, or somehow by coincidence, both passenger-side actuators have failed.
It is probable that the installer might have needed to splice and extend the wires going to the passenger side of the car------from the relays, follow the wires as they go along, tucked under the carpet or whatever----look for splices or any other areas where the wire may have been cut or broken.
Also, do you have a test light or meter and the ability to use it?
If so, find the wires as they go into the right-front and right-rear doors, and test them. BOTH wires should rest as a ground, and one at a time should change to positive when you lock or unlock with the remote.
If the wiring going into the door tests okay, pull the door panel and check for more broken wiring, or a badly-mounted actuator.
If the wiring going into the door does NOT test out okay, look again for breaks.
As for the shock sensor, some of the Audiovox alarms didn't include one; it was an optional part. Or, the previous job was done for a new-car dealership, and many of them don't want shock sensors installed.
At any rate, if you want a shock sensor, they're very cheap, and easy to plug in and mount.
Look around online for one, or if you stop by a shop, many installers have a shock sensor or two floating around in their toolbox; make them an offer.
aaronp 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2006 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks all for the info! I just replaced the alarm with a brand new one a buddy had. Same model....When I changed the alarm brain, both sides worked for a few lock/unlock cycles but eventually only the driver side would work. So I'm pretty sure I can rule the alarm out. I know the actuators are good so we can rule them out as well. I'm sure the problem lies in the wiring. All I know is the Door Output lead is connected to a harness that houses 2, 5-pin relays.  From the harness, there are 2 sets of speaker wires going to either door controlling the front actuators. All I did was tap into the actuator signal at the front doors and ran that to the rear doors..I'm nearly convinced that its something to do with the relay setup...Anyone care to explain the correct way to wire up 4 actuators from a single Door Output Lead?

I'm so confused here!

aaronp 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2006 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  
anyone?
aaronp 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2006 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  

Update....

Now I'm really confused...I removed the door panels on the passenger side and checked the actuators. They were recieving a signal but they were not functioning. Its as if they were stuck...The rear actuator would unlock the doors but on lock, the piston would only slowly travel almost like it wasn't getting enough juice...I checked all the wires and everything looked great....I put all the panels back on a now everything works again...Don't understand it..

xscash 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2006 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  

sound like its time for actuators. if they are not installed with the motion being smooth and extension being set right ...the will almost always fail. when you replace them take a few extra minuites and make sure they work smoothly.

xs

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic