icon

Remote Starter Carb...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Nlzx 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2002 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 77 dodge that I want to add a remote starter too.  I know there is a way to setup vacuums to pull the carb line to give it gas but i'm not really sure how its done.  Has anyone done anything like that?  If so could you give me some information as to how to do it, and/or pictures would be great..

Thanks

the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2002 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  

Hi NLZX, you could use a cruise control servo (vacuum type) but you would need some way to store vacuum and activate the servo. The engine will only produce vacuum when it is running.

I'd use a solenoid/actuator instead that can be activated by the alarm or remote start unit just prior to and/or during start. I used a door lock actuator with a cable attached to the connector at the pedal in an old Mustang to "pump it" prior to starting controlled by the 3rd channel output of the alarm. Each time you activated the 3rd channel, it would pump it one time. Most the user ever had to pump it was twice before it would start. During the day, it would usually start without using it at all.

Keep in mind, most units will attempt to start the vehicle up to 3 times (some may try more)  if not successful on the first try. If your vehicle does not have difficulty starting in the morning, you may not even need anything to pull the accelerator. I'd try it without adding anything first and if you do add something, make sure it will not interfere with the normal operation of the vehicle.

Let us know how you make out.

the12volt

natsys 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2002 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  

Before I added a new topic, a search brought me to this thread which is real close to what I need. 

I have a 1992 Ford van with the 7.3 Diesel engine.  I want to add a remote start, but to start the engine it requires you to: 1.) turn the key to run (but not  start), 2.)physically step on the accelerator pedal and release it, and 3.) wait for the "wait to start" light to go out before turning the key to "start". 

I know that the diesel "delay" or "monitor" wire on a diesel compatible remote start will take care of the wait to start issue, but the reason for pressing the accelerator pedal is to lift the throttle from rest so that the cold idle solenoid can pop up.  The cold idle solenoid will hold the throttle in the advanced position after it pops up, but does not have the oomph to advance it on its own. 

An electric actuator would be ideal.  A trunk pop solenoid seems kinda violent and would really sap energy from the glow plugs.  I've been looking for a 12 volt servo or something that I could hook up to the wait to start circuit so that it would advance the throttle while the wait to start light is on, and then release it when the light goes out.  Simple enough to wire up using a common relay, but where to buy such a servo eludes me.  An added bonus would be that this set up would make it unnecessary to ever step on the accelerator pedal, even during regular starts.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated every cold morning I have to go out to warm up this van!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic