icon

Leds on Quad, four wheeler

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gmc92sierra 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2006 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah this past weekend I bought a quad and a Joyner(little dune buggy) and plan to add led's and a switch (to turn them on at night) and a fuse.  Can anyone help me.  I was planning to use straight from the battery on both Rides and put a switch and a fuse on the positive lead.    

2006 Honda Quad   

2006 Joyner dune buggy

noodlenoggan 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
A little more detail on how many LEDs, what type of LEDs, specs of the LEDs would be helpful.
Here's a awesome link to figure out what kind of resistors, etc. for a series/parallel LED hookup.
http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz
gmc92sierra 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  
What I wanted for someone who has done it, to show me how they did it.  If you have some info you'd like to share then by all means...share it.  I need the help.  I'd like two fixtures of 4 leds, one on the engine and one behind the seat, making a total of 8 Leds - Size 5 - 3.3v - wired in series or parallel from a 12v source.  Having a fuse and a switch.  I'd heard of wiring it to a relay, would that help?  Your respose would be so kindly welcomed.    Thank you
noodlenoggan 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
No problem. I've put many white LEDs on my bike. I'll see if I can post some pictures of it up this weekend to illustrate.
Now for your setup. Based on your info. A string of 4 LEDs to a 13.6v source, you're going to need a 22ohm 1/4watt resistor for each string. I used 13.6v because that's close to the usual voltage when the engine is revving.
As for a switch, you can get a variety of 12v rated switches at your local auto parts store. Even WalMart has them. I use two flush mount(sticky back) switches for my bike's setup. The switches are about $10 at Autozone. They have a small LED in it as well to indicate if the switch is ON(bright) or OFF(dim). These don't require me to drill a hole in the fairing. Just peel the backing off and stick it to a flat surface. Tape is 3M so it's super sticky. I've washed my bike many times and the thing is still stuck to the fairing quite nicely. It's in a dark smoke plastic.
As for the fuse, I don't use one as the resistor reduces enough of the current to prevent any damage to the LEDs.
If you go to the URL that I posted, all of this can be visually shown on how the LEDs and RESISTOR should be wired when you plug in your LED's specs.
Source = 13.6v
Diode Forward voltage = 3.3v
Diode Current current = 20mA (usually standard for LEDs)
Number of LEDs = 4
Hope this helped.
gmc92sierra 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2006 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  

Hey, thanks.  From the specs you gave me, I can do that one website you link me too.  Hey man Thanks.  But I'd like to see some pictures.

noodlenoggan 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2006 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  
I'll post some pictures of what I have on my bike this weekend.
http://forums.linear1.org/index.php/topic,728.0.html
The above url is my latest project of converting all of the incandescent bulbs, except for dash display and headlight, to Luxeon3 LEDs. Power draw is more than the regular LEDs but still much much less than incandescents and way way brighter when the LEDs are grouped together.
The first picture has part of my 5mm LEDs setup...but I'll work on getting the pictures of the entire bike with the LEDs. Oh, just in case you're wondering how those 5mm LEDs are fixed on the fairing? I found a seller on ebay that sells chrome (not that chrome color plastics) LED housings. He sold the housings along with some LEDs.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic