icon

Downward firing enclosure opinions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ophidia31 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2006 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  
Im currently in the process of redoing my setup. I dont want to go the fiberglass route again since I really dont have time to screw around with that crap. So my other thought was to do a downward firing setup. In my old car I had this with the 8inch driver under my dash and it sounded great. I figured this is the best solution because I want it in the same spot as my old setup which is in between the rear wheels to keep the weight as far forward as possible. Now would it be completely necessary to seal off the trunk again like my forward firing setup or would it be just fine having it as the downward setup?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 06, 2006 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  

Be sure the sub you want to use is capable of down/up firing.  Use the sag calculator.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
ophidia31 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2006 at 9:43 AM / IP Logged  

never gave thought about the "sag" factor of a woofer but i can see the degrading effects that it can have if gravity takes its toll while its playing. guess im building a box to fit there and fire it forward again.

As for the trunk sealing thing, I didnt seal the front of the woofer off completely, just all around it so not much can get out from the trunk into the cabin leaving only the front waves. you can see how i have it setup now on my cardomain page. reason im changing from a fiberglass piece is because ive developed some problems with it warping in one area and it cracked the paint, so i dont feel like going through and making another one.

mike swanson 
Copper - Posts: 290
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2006 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  
I use a down fire with Audiobahn. I have had it for 1 year and it all works fine. Hits real hard! it almost makes ya sick.
ophidia31 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
ok, i just put the stats of the 8 in woofer i was using into that calc. and it came out 90ish% saggy. thats crap right there. i dont really see how accurate that can be now.
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
Xmax is entered in mm, not inches.  I suspect the driver is maybe 8mm and you entered 0.315?  The driver should lurk somewhere within or around the 5% mark.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
ophidia31 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  

stevdart wrote:
Xmax is entered in mm, not inches.  I suspect the driver is maybe 8mm and you entered 0.315?  The driver should lurk somewhere within or around the 5% mark.

oooooh, THAT makes more sense now. Downward firing enclosure opinions -- posted image..

Edit: Ok, to makes sure this is right. The stats of my 12" are as follows:

Fs = 22Hz

Vas = 3.20 cuft OR 90.6L

Xmax = 1.5" OR 38.1mm

Ends up being 1% sag. Im not upset, but that seems kind of low with how beefy the woofer is. I was thinking around 10%.

stevdart 
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  

Your woofer grew a little...it started out as a 8"  ;)

Xmax of 38 mm sounds like it's a full excursion, not a Xmax.  Xmax is one-way, from the resting point to either the neg end or the pos end of the travel length.  This is something that has bothered and confounded me for a long time, because I couldn't find a simple answer to it.  For example, WinISD has a slot in the parameter input to enter the Xmax.  When you look at it, it says "Xmax, peak".  What is peak?  Full excursion both negative and positive, or full excursion from resting point one way?"  (I figured it out that it was the common Xmax:  excursion one way.)

So I looked at different drivers and sort of came to a conclusion over time.  Xmax is the one way excursion distance from the resting point to either + or -.  I looked at the specs of a lot of drivers and noted their Xmax's.  38 is out of the ballpark.  Use half of that  (19mm is still a lot of Xmax)  for the equation.

3% saggy.  Fine for downfiring.   Downward firing enclosure opinions -- posted image.

ophidia31 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  

yeah, they grow up so fast :*) but the 8 was from my last car which i had downfire setup under the dash. going to go with a jl 6 inch nder there this time since thats all i have room for in this car. :(

but i forgot to put one way after the xmax. with given the size of the surround, spider and motor structure, i wouldnt put it past being able to move 1.5" one way with 3"p-p. either way though, youd think itd be fine downfiring it? i just dont want to build the box then have it end up sounding like ass. a second opinion is all i need.

here are the stats from their website, but they havent changed since i got mine. http://www.eclipse-web.com/sw9100/sw9122.html

and since they show the same 12" for almost every sub, these are the correct pictures. the only full ones i have with it out of the box and top view from when I took pictures when my friend was selling his system. well, i snagged the sub. :) and the bottle was for size reference. lol

Downward firing enclosure opinions -- posted image.

Downward firing enclosure opinions -- posted image.

kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
Just saying I love my downfiring box. sounds amazing, and yeah it hits hard too. check link if anyone wants to see.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic