icon

How do I install a 2nd siren?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Reepicheep 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2002 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  

I just installed a COMMANDO alarm in my car.  I mounted the siren under the dash as to give any thief a massive headache if he tried to mess with it.  But now I can barely hear the siren from outside the car :(

Does anyone know of a way I can hook up a second siren under the hood?  If I hook it up in series, then cutting any wire from the siren under the hood will kill both sirens.  But if I hook it up in parralel, I'm afraid the amp draw might be more than the alarm system can handle.

I have no experience with these things.  Any advice would be much appriciated.

Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 13, 2002 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  

Hey Reepicheep,

The sirens should always be wired in parallel.  If unsure about amp draw use a relay to drive the sirens giving you up to 40 amps.  How do I install a 2nd siren? -- posted image.

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
Reepicheep 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2002 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks Big Dog.  I'll try hooking them up parrallel and if a fuse blows, I'll buy a relay.  Cross your fingers for me.

I did speak with Tech support from Commando Alarm earlier.  He mentioned something about placing a 1 amp diode facing the first siren.  I'm assuming he ment that I should hook them up in series, otherwise it just doesn't make sense.  He was a bit grumpy so I decided not to ask for more details.

Reep

Reepicheep 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2002 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks Big Dog.  I'll try hooking them up parrallel and if a fuse blows, I'll buy a relay.  Cross your fingers for me.

I did speak with Tech support from Commando Alarm earlier.  He mentioned something about placing a 1 amp diode facing the first siren.  I'm assuming he ment that I should hook them up in series, otherwise it just doesn't make sense.  He seemed a bit grumpy so I decided not to ask for more details.

Reep

Big Dog 
Posted: May 13, 2002 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  

Hey Reep,

Thank God for tech support huh? How do I install a 2nd siren? -- posted image.

When he said diode he probably meant to diode isole them so that one doesn't feed back into another this doesn't make any sense at all....

Assuming your siren is driven with a neg trigger connect the siren output from your alarm brain to pin 85 of a relay, 86 and 30 goes to a positive thru a fuse and 87 splits two ways to the sirens.  Then its ASTA LA VISTA, BABY! 

Reepicheep 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2002 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  

STOP THE MADNESS!!!     How do I install a 2nd siren? -- posted image.

I just did a quick search through the archives, and I now have 3 conflicting methods of hooking up a second alarm!!!

Big Dog wrote:    Assuming your siren is driven with a pos trigger connect the siren output from your alarm brain to pin 85 of a relay, 86 and 30 goes to a positive thru a fuse and 87 splits two ways to the sirens. 

the12volt on  March 21 wrote:   connect a lead to your alarm's siren output. if your alarm's siren output is (+) connect it to termianl #85 and connect #86 to ground. Connect terminal #87 to constant 12V+ (fused) and connect terminal #30 to the positive leads of the other sirens you are adding.

hot_shot_guy123 on  March 21wrote:     PIN 86 = trigger wire from siren output from brain (pos or neg depending on your alarm)     PIN 85 = Ground     PIN 87 = Constant 12V  (make sure to fuse this wire)     PIN 30 = Hook up sirens to this pin

wirewise 
Moderator - Posts: 489
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 13, 2002 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  
All three are correct. Terminals 85 and 86 are for the coil. It doesn't matter which one gets positive so long as the other sees negative when you wish to energize the coil. Terminals 30 and 87 are normally open, they become closed when the coil is energized, so long as one has 12V+ the other can be connected to the positive lead of the sirens.
~wirewise~ Verify all wiring with your meter before making any connections!
Big Dog 
Posted: May 13, 2002 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Reep,

I goofed ( doh! )

Should of said Assuming your siren is driven with a neg trigger connect ......bla,bla,bla How do I install a 2nd siren? -- posted image.

Big Dog have Big Tail between Big Legs! How do I install a 2nd siren? -- posted image.

The greatest sign of humility is to fes-up to your mistakes then post it for all to point and laugh How do I install a 2nd siren? -- posted image.

O.K. guys ! That's enough ! Stop rolling on the floor !  Just wait.......How do I install a 2nd siren? -- posted image.

Reepicheep 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2002 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  

"Bad Doggy!  Bad!" 

Reepicheep have positive alarm output.

wirewise 
Moderator - Posts: 489
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 13, 2002 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  
Bah! I read Big Dog's initial description too quickly, since he clarified using a negative output from alarm, his is now correct, but since you have a positive output from your alarm, use the12volt's description. It will work correctly with your alarm.
~wirewise~ Verify all wiring with your meter before making any connections!
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic