icon

Amp wire routing, 98 Grand Prix GTP

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gnetic86 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2006 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, I'm putting a new system and alarm in my otherwise stock 98 Grand Prix GTP, and have a couple questions. I've done many headunit swaps before and I'm pretty knowledgeable in electronics, just that this is my first amp install.
So you know, it doesn't have the bose system nor a factory alarm. It does have keyless entry though.
1. Whats the best way to route the power wire for an amp? Looks to me like just sending it through the fender and into the car would work, but not sure if the wire will roll around inside the fender? Any ideas? Should I use split loom on the wire under the hood?
2. Since it looks like there's already a lot of wires on the passenger side, would it be best that I run the amp power wire on that side and the rca's on the drivers side?
3. Any suggestions for where to mount the alarm siren? There's very little room under the hood, and the only decent place I can find without climbing underneath is near the battery.
4. I know bulldog makes a t-harness for hooking up remote start alarms to this car, is there any reason to *not* use it? I figured it would make for a cleaner, less hacked-up install.
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Jeff
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2006 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  

1. I always go through the fire wall using  a groment unless its 0 gauge, then its under the car and split loom under the hood is a good rule of thumb.

2. Not a bad Idea, however if you are only using the amp for a sub system then its not really nessasary to seperate the power and RCA's. I have never got ground noise through a sub install yet. If it is gonna be for full range speakers than definatly seperate as you planned.

3.There is nothing wrong with near the battery, if there is room there than mount there.

4. Never used them so I cant really comment

double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
gnetic86 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2006 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
From what it looks like (I still have to check on this), inside the car on the passenger kick panel, there's an access hole that looks like it goes into the fender. I figured that would almost be too perfect for this. Thanks for the quick response!
Jeff
impaladad 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2006 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
I like to unbolt the radiator overflow resivior, and move it out of the way.  Once removed, there is just enough room to fit a makita, and a 1/2" unibit in there. Just move the insulation out of the way first.  Once you loom the wire, you will never notice that it's not factory!
impaladad 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2006 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  
edit: I forgot to reply to siren location.  If you have extra time, I like to remove the wipers, and the plastic cowl under them, usually there is plenty of room to mount a siren in there.  Just watch for clearance around the wiper linkage.
gnetic86 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2006 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  
Thats a pretty cool idea, didn't think of that. As for the hole I thought went into the fender, it didn't. I think its for the wiring going up to the ceiling of the car.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic