the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

alarm/remote start, man. trans recomendations?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
repmud 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  
I recently bought a 2005 Subaru WRX STI (M/T) and I want to install a remote starter with alarm.   What system does everyone recomend that is safe, easy to operate, and reliable?  How different will this be versus installing in a 2002 GMC truck and a 2002 Chevy Cavalier (M/T)?
xscash 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  

in my opinion ...nothing is safe. everybody says " i never leave it in gear" but eventualy they do or someone will move the car and leave it in gear.

and as fo those remote starters that claim to have safty.......remote start the car get out and shut the door then shut off the remote starter...and as long as the doors arent opened the car will remote start again....well if the window is down or if its a convertable and someone reaches in and ....lets say grabs their purse and knocks it in to gear....then there it goes.

some one could break in knowing that factory alarms will not trip if the door isnt opened...and steal your hu and again there it goes.

my biggest worrie is that a kid will be in the area when this thing starts moving and you will end up behind  bars or in court with that on you consious and all for about 100$ profit and a life time of regret.

and try to pass the buck! ive had these disscusions with a few manufactures and none of them will stand behind you in this situation!

my shop and my livelyhood is too important to throw it all away for a few bucks.

my .02 cents.  sorry for the rant.      XS

repmud 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
In my cavo I bought a system specifically for M/T cars and I also made something that fit over the shifter and depressed 2 momentary switches.  One switch was always closed and I conected it to the ground pin and the other side to ground.  When the switch was not depressed the unit would not work because it would think the hood was open.  The other switch was always open and I had the clutch relay wired though it.  Unless I put the device over the shifter, which mechanically stopped the car from going into gear the unit would not work.  I plan on doing something similiar with this car.  I am going to assume you still don't believe in it. 
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2006 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
repmund, your STi has a wire at the cars ECU that indicates whether it is in gear or not. That wire can be tied into the remote start to prevent it from attempting to start in gear. I have done my own 2002 WRX and 2005 STi with this method as well as many customers.   It is a very safe method.
Drop me a PM with your email address and I can provide some pictures and more info for you. I have a 2005 STi myself....well, until Sunday when I trade it in. I'll get back to you tomorrow, I'm on my way out the door now.
xscash 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2006 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  

repmud, i have the peice you are talking about. it has a cable that pulls out and attaches to the shifter..right?

well this unit incoporatse a spring which on mine..broke allowing it to start in gear . so i fixed that and later noticed that the plastic peice that ran back and fourth over the switch had worn ans now was allowing it to start again. so i flipped the plastick over and used the other side. a few months later it was worn again! now it sits on my bench as a reminder of how much time i put into trying this.

xs

repmud 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2006 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  
xscash wrote:

repmud, i have the peice you are talking about. it has a cable that pulls out and attaches to the shifter..right?

well this unit incoporatse a spring which on mine..broke allowing it to start in gear . so i fixed that and later noticed that the plastic peice that ran back and fourth over the switch had worn ans now was allowing it to start again. so i flipped the plastick over and used the other side. a few months later it was worn again! now it sits on my bench as a reminder of how much time i put into trying this.

xs

I'm sorry to hear that, I sounds like you had a bad experience.  I actually made something out of wood and steel.  It basically located and locked itself using the cup holder.  It had a hole just large enough to get the shifter through it.  It was aproximately 12" long by 4" wide and about 4 inches tall in the shifter region, otherwise it was 1/2' tall.  Once it was in place it was impossible to get the car in gear, and if by some reason the car did go in gear the device would have been knocked off the switches.  It was rather large and anoying but it kept the car from being started in gear.  The steel was used to add weight in order to depress the momentary switches.  The thing was ugly as he!! but it worked well.

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 10, 2006 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
If you purchase a compustar, astroflex, or ultrastarter....you will be safe, and there will be no "jerry rigging" to bypass your clutch in some unsafe manor.
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2006 at 3:37 AM / IP Logged  
clifford intelli start along with ang of there g5 range. great alarms no risk of starting in gear
have to leave engine running(therefore in neutral) when you arm the car engine dies. so when you come back it will still be in neutral..
you can ony remote start whn armed and not if the alarm has been triggered while your away this takes away the possibility of anybody putting it back into gear
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2006 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  
xscash wrote:
well if the window is down or if its a convertable and someone reaches in and ....lets say grabs their purse and knocks it in to gear....then there it goes
You can use a perimeter sensor in these applications which will prevent any one from reaching into the vehicle. If they do it automatically drops out of reservation mode.
Steve G
Evolution-UK 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2006 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
ITS A SUBARU
they have a netral position switch. Even on the manuals.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic